TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an odd squeak from the front of my car when I am doing anything but breaking. It is obviously comming from the wheelwell, and I was told by someone that it could be my "wheel bearings". I've never heard of wheel bearings, and am wondering how much and how hard they are change.

I know it's not my brake pads, i just changed those last week, and the squeak was thre before and after the change. It is just getting worse now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
The wheel bearings on the front are not replaceable. You have to buy the hub assembly which includes the bearings. http://www.Rockauto.com is currently selling the hub assembly for $65 each. Also do a search for "rock auto discount" here on the forums. it's a number you can put in to get another 5% off.

·
Registered
926 Posts
It might be just one side but I would change both so they both usually go at the same time, turn your wheel left and right if it goes away when your turn right then its the left side and vise versa.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is more of a whine i guess, but yeah, all the bushings are shot i know, but i don't think that's where the sound is comming from. As for when the sound comes, man it comes anytime everywhere, any which way i turn the wheel, except braking.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Struts??

·
Registered
926 Posts
Def possibility, how are your brakes??? could be a caliper sticking too

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How hard is it to change the hub?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
SilverLx said:
How hard is it to change the hub?
Not difficult at all.
Remove the brake caliper and hang it out of the way. No need to disconnect the brake line.
Remove the rotor and take off the grease seal and get a new one.
Remove the hub retainer nut and get a new one. New seal and bolt are a few bucks. Cheap insurance.
Hub should come off at that point. Might need a little BFH persuasion.
Putting it back on you have to make sure you have a big enough torque wrench. It's torqued to 225-254 ft lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Hub retainer bolt?

Don't you mean nut? The 36mm one?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
Hub retainer bolt?

Don't you mean nut? The 36mm one?
I meant the nut, thanks for catching that.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Same think on mine, it will go "squeek, squeek, squeek" when you go faster the squeek gets faster, etc. When you apply breaks, it goes away. I was thinking the caliper bolts.. the 2 bolts the caliper slides on? Maybe the rotors are slightly warped, and cause the caliper to travel back and forth, causing it to squeek? Did you lube the ears on the brake pads? I'm going to go in and re lube everything.. I only did the pads, which I didn't get very well. (They kept popping out, and the grease was everywhere accept the ears on the pads...)

·
Registered
52 Posts
SilverLx said:
It is more of a whine i guess, but yeah, all the bushings are shot i know, but i don't think that's where the sound is comming from. As for when the sound comes, man it comes anytime everywhere, any which way i turn the wheel, except braking.
I also have the same prob, I know the bushings r toast, but my sound is definitely an itermittent squeak. gets faster as I go faster, stops when i apply brakes, but its always there when im in motion. I'm prob gonna wind up repalcing most of my front end anyway so this info helps alot. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced my rotors since they were warped anyways, did the trick. No more sound at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some brake pads have a "sensor" tab that rubs on the rotors when the pads get thin. This causes a squeek that will go away when the brakes are applied.

This might apply to some of the situations described.

JD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts