TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 mercury cougar xr7 4.6l. I want to swap out the front 5x108 wheel hubs,brackets, calipers and rotors with a 5x114.3 setup. I was told that the 99 to 04 mustang cobra hubs will bolt on but I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me what year mustang that the bracket, caliper and rotor I will need to complete the swap. Please someone help me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having the same issue here. Its my understanding that the Tbird came with 5x4.5 in 1991+. I have a 90 Tbird and it has the 108mm. EDIT: Finding alot of misinformation online about this. If I look up parts from auto parts stores, they show 5x4.5 lug pattern.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,940 Posts
Having the same issue here. Its my understanding that the Tbird came with 5x4.5 in 1991+. I have a 90 Tbird and it has the 108mm. Also, I thought the mustangs came with rotors that had the studs installed (one piece), not separate pieces (hub & rotor ).
Inaccurate, the 5x108 pattern was used on these cars to the end in 1997, the front spindles changed in 1993 for a redesigned caliper and rotor but the bolt pattern remained.

4 lug Fox Mustangs used the old school one piece hub/rotor design but SN95 Mustangs switched to the modern separated rotor and sealed for life hub design similar to MN12s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I editted my original post , but not before you replied. So like I was saying, I'm finding alot of false info when searching for parts.
Can you point me in the right direction for the rear relocation brackets. This is all new to me. I just found out the hard way this last Friday (two days ago). I left my rims at the shop to have them installed, but got the call that the lug pattern was different. I swear that autozone and others show 5x4.5 pattern.

·
Administrator
21,940 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I editted my original post , but not before you replied. So like I was saying, I'm finding alot of false info when searching for parts.
Can you point me in the right direction for the rear relocation brackets. This is all new to me. I just found out the hard way this last Friday (two days ago). I left my rims at the shop to have them installed, but got the call that the lug pattern was different. I swear that autozone and others show 5x4.5 pattern.
It doesn’t surprise me, these cars have become so niche with age you can’t really trust the big box suppliers when it comes to what they claim “fits” them. Dave Dalke at SCCoA makes the rear relocation brackets from billet, you can get the Cobra IRS rear hubs in the 4.5” pattern from full tilt boogie racing

In a pinch you can also use 99-04 Cobra calipers/brackets and and in the rear rather than the relocation brackets and stock calipers, but you won’t be able to hook up the parking brake cables.

·
Premium Member
5,851 Posts
No, the rear doesn't have to change any to fit the Mustang hubs.

The FRONT can fit the hubs, but you're stuck with weird brake combos then; swapping to the 93+ or FN10 spindles allows you to bolt Mustang brakes onto it. Which means you can buy off the shelf rotors and even upgrade to the 4 piston Brembo ATS brakes.

RwP

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Administrator
21,940 Posts
So just to be clear. On the front I need 93+ Tbird/Cougar spindals because I have a 1990 Tbird ? I assume the same goes for the rear, 93+ too ?
In front yes(good time to upgrade to PBR calipers from a 99-04 Mustang too) but the rear spindles didn’t change, those are fine

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,762 Posts
One small caveat... If you have drums in the back now, you need to switch knuckles to a disk brake knuckle. Some have said you can drill out the dimples where the drum knuckles have the ability to convert to disk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since someone else recently brought the subject of hubs up again, is there a thread that shows you how and what parts from what year cars (Mustangs or other MN12s) you need to swap from rear drums on a '95 to disc and change to the 5x4.5" pattern at the same time? Or can someone who's done the swap just post here?

I'd prefer to use as many junkyard parts as possible to keep the costs down..

I'm exhausted from searching.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Youd need the spindle, brake lines, and e brake cable from a disc brake car. With swapping hubs youll need 99-04 cobra rear discs. I believe same year cobra calipers fit but they have smaller pads so most people get a relocation bracket to run the birds stock caliper on the cobra rotors.

To just have disc brakes from a JY job, just keep the bird stuff or re drill the rotors. I think its pretty well agreed you wont find an IRS cobra in a parts yard.

Edit: master cylinder from disc brake car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Youd need the spindle, brake lines, and e brake cable from a disc brake car. With swapping hubs youll need 99-04 cobra rear discs. I believe same year cobra calipers fit but they have smaller pads so most people get a relocation bracket to run the birds stock caliper on the cobra rotors.

Is there a reason that the Cobras came with the bigger 13" front discs but ended up with smaller rear calipers than the Thunderbirds? Wouldn't that affect how well the 4 wheels stopped the car? I mean percentage of braking handled by the front and rear brakes. Or does ABS mitigate that? It just seems odd to me that the Mustang Cobra rear calipers would be smaller than what our Thunderbirds have when our cars had smaller front discs.

Am I understanding correctly that using Cobra rear calipers combined with Cobra rear rotors means not needing the custom relocation bracket but there is the added hassle of changing brake lines and parking brake cable? I'm just worried about using the relocation brackets and having the stock Thunderbird parking brake cable not mount correctly anymore as has happened with a few conversions I've read about.

·
Administrator
21,940 Posts
Is there a reason that the Cobras came with the bigger 13" front discs but ended up with smaller rear calipers than the Thunderbirds? Wouldn't that affect how well the 4 wheels stopped the car? I mean percentage of braking handled by the front and rear brakes. Or does ABS mitigate that? It just seems odd to me that the Mustang Cobra rear calipers would be smaller than what our Thunderbirds have when our cars had smaller front discs.

Am I understanding correctly that using Cobra rear calipers combined with Cobra rear rotors means not needing the custom relocation bracket but there is the added hassle of changing brake lines and parking brake cable? I'm just worried about using the relocation brackets and having the stock Thunderbird parking brake cable not mount correctly anymore as has happened with a few conversions I've read about.
The rear calipers on Cobras are the same calipers as used on V6s is why, Cost. With that setup the only adaptation that had do be done for production was use longer brackets for the larger diameter and thinner pads for the Cobra’s ventilated rotors. The performance vs relocated Tbird calipers is probably the same in reality despite the size difference, I’d say pad life is a bigger factor(since they’re so thin)

Relocation brackets can cause interference with the cable end and relocation bolt, I had to grind both on mine but it operates fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay if I’m reading all of this correctly. I’m going to need 99-04 front brake rotors and should buy some eBay rear rotors and have them drilled to fit the new mustang bolt pattern. Then I can either use cobra calibers on the front or get those big Cadillac calibers and the bigger pads that fit them.
  • 99-04 Cobra front rotors
  • super coupe or Mark VIII rear rotors and pads
  • Cadillac front calibers and pads
  • have machine shop redrill rear rotors

anything else?
Isn’t there a installation kit that I have to get for the Cadillac calibers to fit?
I’m swapping out brakes and rotors on a 95 and a 97 Mark VIII.
I’ve got some 17’ Charger wheels that hopefully will work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts