TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this on there rims. I'm thinking of the Duplicolor stuff, but I've never really heard of any other brand that sells this. Lookin at my rims I think the previous owner might have used this. The little weights on the outside of the rims match exactly, around the lip it seems to kind of fade and stop before it hits the tire. Maybe they all look like that, I've never look that close at other rims besides mine. Factory Ford rims, not fan blades, not sport rims. I don't know what they are called, what do you call them?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
How can you even see what color the wheels are - those whitewalls are blinding me!!!

Sorry - I just couldn't resist! :D

I'm not really sure of the exact color of silver that Ford used to paint your wheels, but I often see Ford wheels that are described as having "silver sparkle" as the paint color. Some wheels are entirely painted in that color and some, like the brushed aluminum wheels 1999 Taurus SHO wheels I have that I'm going to put on my 1997 T-Bird, have "silver sparkle" paint only in the "pockets" (the area between the spokes).

Dennis

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Factory Ford rims, not fan blades, not sport rims. I don't know what they are called, what do you call them?
We call them Wheels .. not rims. Ford used the same color Metallic Silver to paint their wheels from the 80s through the 90's, fanblades, sport, etc etc ..

Sounds like yours were spray painted.

·
Banned
754 Posts
hey don't knock the white walls.... I happen to have them.........everything about my car makes me feel old, the white walls, the luggage rack, and the rims..... it's like the old person model or something lol.

only thing that makes me feel manly is the big arse V8 in the front :D

but I digress... I freakin love my car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Performance Enhancement wheels

I've got them on mine, 96 LX. Chrome color with satin sheen. They are so easy to keep clean and will not rust. Still look brand new.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
For future information, the color of silver wheels is typically referred to as "Argent."

We call them Wheels .. not rims.
Thank you. I don't know how that got started, but it drives me up the wall every time I hear somebody refer to them as 'rims'.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the white walls, they always get brought up, they should be gone in the next few months.
It looks like a factory paint job, nice and even and such, but just around the very edges it barely fades before it meets the tires. Maybe that's just how they did it.

I didn't know there was a difference between rims and wheels, that's for straightening my out, it will probably happen again though. Sorry.

I thought fan blades and salad shooters were the same. Maybe I'm wrong but I've always heard them being used interchangeably.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I just attempted to paint two of my Fan Blades with the duplicolor silver wheel paint. One thing I noticed right away was that it sprayed like a thick powder. Maybe there was something wrong with this particular can, I don't know. Followed the directions to a "T". I ended up rubbing the powdery stuff off with a damp cloth. Then it looked "Spotty", like it wasn't sprayed even, but I was careful? I ended up wet sanding first lightly with 320 grit to remove the clumped stuff. Then 600, then 1000. The first rim looks OK from a distance, but up close you can see thin spots. The second rim faired better. Both will be getting another dose of wet sanding, and then a final, as the directions say, "medium heavy wet coat". Once I do that, I'm sure they'll be fine. The color is real, real close to the stock rims, except there is no sheen. But I'm sure the final coat will cure that
I've tried posting picks but it's been a while. I'll keep working at it...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been told that is a problem if you don't hold the can perpendicular to the surface. Maybe retry one making sure it's perpendicular, and make sure the 2nd and following coats are pretty wet coats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts