TCCoA Forums banner

701 - 720 of 765 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Ferrari F355 wheels in 19x8.5 +38mm front and 19x10 +42mm rear.
Sorry for the dirtyness but you get the idea.
Those aren't Ferrari Wheels..The Ferrari F355 never came with those style of wheels..

I hope you didn't buy those from someone who told you they really were Ferrari Wheels..

In fact they look like Coventry Whitley Wheels with a Ferrari sticker over the center cap..

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
All that are rolling with staggered wheels. Do you wear tires faster then if you could rotate them? I have a rim in mind however; not sure if I want staggered.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I was using staggered directional tires, and yes, wear is a problem even if you have your car aligned. Without being able to go front to back, or side to side, or crisscross, the tires will wear out faster. Usually on the inside or outside section of the tread.

I got away from staggered front to rear tires, I didn't like any of the asymmetrical tires so I stuck with directional, but I can at least go front to back. Also sometimes the place you get your tires from will demount and remount them as part of the purchase package, but usually they charge 10 bucks a tire, which after awhile would be about the same cost as a new set of tires.

Reactions: Woodman

·
Registered
76 Posts
Those aren't Ferrari Wheels..The Ferrari F355 never came with those style of wheels..

I hope you didn't buy those from someone who told you they really were Ferrari Wheels..

Rayo..
Well I feel dumb. I only spent $500 for them and they came with (used) tires so I don't feel too bad. At least they retail for $400+ a piece.

All that are rolling with staggered wheels. Do you wear tires faster then if you could rotate them? I have a rim in mind however; not sure if I want staggered.
Yeah my outside edges are wearing faster on the fronts. I think that's an alignment issue though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
haven't posted here in a while..stumbled on this thread searching for something else but figured I'd share my wheels..so far gone through 3 sets on my Mark.

the original 20 spokes

18x9 cobra Rs (5x4.25" bolt pattern) w/245/45/18s

hub swapped with cobra brakes and now have 17x8 97 cobra wheels w/ 255/50/17 nitto NT555s

·
Registered
2010 BMW M5
1,665 Posts
That cougar looks sick, welcome to the cool cats club.

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
337 Posts
15" fanblades are boring, but 17" fanblades are the **** on Thunderbirds!
what wheels do you have ? they look great !

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first car was a 1999 Sable with the premium package rims so when the engine went out on that I found this 97 Thunderbird Sport with its original sport rims but they were too far gone and I hated the style anyway. So before junking the Sable (it was a sad day, car was otherwise in perfect condition) I swapped the wheels off it onto the tbird.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
These are the 18x9's I put on this year...

Reactions: unbornagain119

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Interesting thread. I've never had any desire to use anything other than my factory wheels, as I think they look really excellent on the car.
I like the factory 16x7's too, but for me it was a functional issue. I run a 255 width tire, so on the 16's I was running 255/50/16, which is .6" shorter outside diameter than the stock 225/60/16 size. However, combined with my 3.73 gears and whatever speedo gear I have, my speedometer reads perfectly, and I like the wider tire. Sadly, 255/50/16 is an uncommon size right now. and the small selection of tires are very low treadwear rating (the BFG Comp2 only has a 300 rating). Also the 255 series tires are too wide for a 7" wide wheel, and should be mounted on an 8-10" wheel for best results. The cost of widening the stock wheels was more than buying new wheels.

So I looked around for alternative sizes, and found the 255/40/18 is much more common, a much wider variety of tires, and I found some that I used on my previous Mustang, General AS-03's, that are an ultra high performance all season, great grip, a great all around tire, and even better, have a 480 AA A treadwear rating. Since I had to find wheels, I looked around for 5x108 wheels with a proper backspacing in an 18x9" size (35-36mm is correct without rub issues) and found the ones on my car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good stuff, Woodman, so thanks for that. I use my stock wheels (can't really afford new ones anyway) and whatever tires I can get at a decent price. Once I get the car back on the road, I'll still usually not drive more that 5 or 10 miles a week, so anything fancy or expensive, really makes no financial sense to me, not given my current situation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For whatever it's worth, here's a shot of my car from a few years ago. Car has taken a terrible beating since then, hail damage, car door strikes, clear coat rot, you name it, not to mention that I let regular routine maintenance and repairs lapse terribly.

·
Administrator
8,667 Posts
96 Cougar on focus wheels. There is a rubbing issue on the front calipers. Going to try a spacer to get clearance.
Linky no worky! :tongue:

Joe

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
701 - 720 of 765 Posts