TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,511 Posts
What size are you thinking? Do you plan to maintain the current bolt pattern?

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,511 Posts
18" seems to be more popular, and might have a better shot finding some. Looks like a lot of stuff is backordered when looking at SCP.

You might want to check the MN12 FN10 trading post on FB

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,266 Posts
I seem to recall you saying you wanted 16 or 17” with a 225 tire earlier but maybe you edited. As said, 18s are more popular for these since 17” tire selection is really lacking unless you settle for a comically short sidewall or find a set of tires that probably won’t be available anymore come your next change. If you’re only shooting for 225 width(unless you changed your mind) the stock SC wheels are just fine, and look cosmetically more fitting to the car than any aftermarket 16” wheel by a mile

·
Registered
1990 thunderbird SC, 5 speed manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seem to recall you saying you wanted 16 or 17” with a 225 tire earlier but maybe you edited. As said, 18s are more popular for these since 17” tire selection is really lacking unless you settle for a comically short sidewall or find a set of tires that probably won’t be available anymore come your next change. If you’re only shooting for 225 width(unless you changed your mind) the stock SC wheels are just fine, and look cosmetically more fitting to the car than any aftermarket 16” wheel by a mile
Yeah I did change the parameters, as there were very little or no options. Width isn’t really an issue unless there way too wide.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To add to this, the most commonly available tire size for 17" is the SN95 Mustang's 245/45R17, which is 1" shorter in total diameter than stock for the MN12. I'm running it right now and I don't really like it. The sidewall profile is fine, but I would like the extra 1/2" back in ground clearance whenever I turn in or out of a steep driveway.

However, that means 245/45/R18 is perfect, and that's a very common tire size which is what I'll be putting on the front of my new 18s.

The ideal tire size for 17" would be 245/50R17, but there are hardly any good options in that size. Last I checked many years ago, the only decent and reasonably priced option was a BF Goodrich that was only H-rated.

225 width is a nonstarter on 17s or larger as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Been running 235/55-17 BFG GForce Comp2 all season on the Cougar for the last 3 years. They have a fairly aggressive tread so I don't understand how they are considered an all season. Good side sidewall on then and they still hold the road well, happy with them so far. They are getting worn out kind of fast but that isn't the tires fault. :whistle:

·
Registered
91 Super Coupe
1,339 Posts

IMO, the best looking wheels for an SCare 18" x 9" Saleen Speedstar replicas in Chrome or Black. To get a little bit of a staggered look use a 245/45/18 tire in front and a 275/40/18 tire on the rear. These tire sizes are extremely close to stock diameter tires, so no speedometer adjustments needed.They are available in stock 5 x 108 mm bolt pattern, but may be out of stock right now. Here is how my 91 SC looks with sizes mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
Nice!! I love the wheels; those pop! (stand out, I mean.
That's why I like chrome.

·
Registered
1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe
8 Posts
Up to any suggestions for nice wheels for my 1990 thunderbird sc. View attachment 48417
I would love to hear what others have on theirs and any suggestions that anyone has.
I went with Kazera brushed aluminum 18" to fill those giant wheel wells on my '89 and have received many compliments. I got them from TireRack and don't see those in particular and longer but they have others that are similar. You can get the wheels and tires as a package already mounted and balanced.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,140 Posts
Car looks really good!

Is that a recent picture? Snow still on the ground?! :eek:

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts