TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of dumb when it comes to tires on a car... ANY car, not just a T-Bird. I constantly see numbers thrown around like xxx/yy/zz and I'm like HUH!?

I also noticed some people choose to go with the 17" Cobra aluminum rims instead of chrome. Why is this? Is Chrome heavier and will slow the car down?

On a previous thread, I read that chrome rims are much easier to clean, why is this?

And if I were to buy Cobra chrome rims, wouldn't I have to take the rims to a shop to get the tires put on??

Please give me a Wheels 101!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Chrome is a plating. The wheels are still the same. Yes they do cost more, but if they were pure chrome they'd cost millions each.

You have to go to a shop to get tires mounted anyway. nothing special about chrome wheels. Most shops charge more to mount tires on chrome wheels because if they mess up, it costs them alot more than if it was a painted wheel.

How tire sizes work:

stock: 215/70-15

215: section width; how wide the tire is at it's widest point. Tread width can vary by model.

70: a percentage based on the section width. 70 would be 70%, and the sidewall would be 70% as tall as the tire is wide.

15: this is the wheel size in diameter.

You can change the section width and percentage to get better performance in different conditions, but the wheel diameter MUST match.

So for summer, you could run a 245/60-15 on the stock wheels, and you'd have more traction. In winter (if in snow region), you could use a 205/75-15 for better traction.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Also, to let you know something, polished aluminum is a b**** to clean. I know because I have them on mine, and I am switching to chrome because it is easier to clean. With polished aluminum, you will need to polish those babys at least every 2 weeks, and it can take sometimes up to a half and hour to do one. That is if u polishe them every week. I didnt polish mine through the winter months because it was too damn cold and the first nice warm day we had, it took me like an hour to do just one. The oxidation in weather and air f***s up the aluminum and leaves streaks and yellowish/whiteish spots and lines all over the place. If anyone wants aluminum, I will probably be selling mine. I don't know if anyone will want them because they are just 15's but the style is American Racing Aeros. They are in good shape but they do need to be polished up. I will probably get rid of them when I get my chrome wheels on. peace

·
Registered
150 Posts
How are powdercoated, are they pretty easy to clean also? Will they get pitted like Aluminum?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Powdercoated/Painted finishes are easy to keep up...

Aluminum wheels in a Polished finish are NOT meant for year around use in a fowl weather enviroment...This is pretty obvious...Unless you use a serious protectant such as "ZOOP" and then I dunno if it is gonna hold up under severe conditions of salted roads and such...Regardless, chrome has a limited life expectancy in these conditions as well...As does even a painted wheel....Pretty much NOTHING is going to fair these conditions for a extended period of time without constant care...

My advice...If anyone wants it....Get or keep a standard set of wheels around for winter time...Brek out the nice wheel for the time they are intended...Spring/Summer....Here is a pic of my Bullets that I have had on my car for the 3rd year now...They have been basically esy to take care of...It just takes some common sense to keep them up with limited attention...Here are the rules in care taking a polished aluminum wheel...

NEVER leave your Polished wheel to air dry when washing the car. ALWAYS Towel dry them, leaving not even a trace of water on them.

NEVER attempt to WASH your wheels after a drive with the wheels HOT....It aint gonna work and you could stain your wheels big style...Making it VERY tough to reverse the results.

NEVER use abrasives to remove anything from the wheel...It always has to be cotton with some type of lifting agent conducive to aluminum such as "Never Dull"

Use Never Dull and remove it best you can...Then follow with an aluminum protectant such as Alumagaurd...This seems like alotta work...Not true...If you follow the list above this is a simple application that you should do whenever your best judgment sees fit, or even when time permits...

I really believe that I spent as much time on my wheels as I would have if they were Chrome...Paint on the other hand...The lowest of low maintnance for sure...

Regards

Brad

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
For those of you who are lucky enough to have 17x9's, I have a favor to ask.

I need to get the dimensions of the wheels (with tires) for my body shop. I tried the tire calculators, and they don't give the width with the tires mounted, and inflated.

I need height (diameter of a side to side that is not sitting on the ground), and I also need width (again of a side that is not sitting on the ground).

I need these, cause I'm expanding the rear tire well so that I can get a full size cobra R spare tire in the trunk, and they need the dimensions since I don't have the rims yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
These cars have the same bolt pattern as the mn12.
BOLT PATTERN 5X4.25 OR (5X108)

FITMENTS

FORD TAURUS 86-04

FORD THUNDERBIRD 89-04

FORD WINDSTAR 95-03

FORD FREESTAR 2004

JAGUAR S TYPE 00-04

JAGUAR X TYPE 02-04

LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 91-03

LINCOLN LS 00-04

MARK 8 93-98

MERCURY COUGAR 89-97

MERCURY SABLE 86-04

MERCURY MONTEREY 2004

VOLVO S60 01-04

VOLVO C70 99-04

VOLVO V70 98-04

VOLVO XC70 01-04

VOLVO S80 99-04

VOLVO XC90 03-04

·
Registered
489 Posts
Also...

88-92 Eagle premier
90-92 Dodge monaco
Volvo 94-99 850 s70/v70,90-99 940/960/ 82-94 740/760/780
and 79-94 240 dl,gl,gt1 Series

·
Registered
987 Posts
In regards to the 5-108/5-4.25....

Bolt pattern is not the only variable there is to consider. Offset is as important as bolt pattern. Some of those applications would require spacers in order for them to work at all, making it a less than desirable choice. I just don't want to see anyone pick up ANY of the listed wheel sets on Ebay and end up with issues having blown their cash on an unreturnable item.

Brad

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes offset is important to maybe you can post the offsets that will work I had both +39 and +42 on my cougar.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only other thing needed in this thread is the offset. I have an 89 T-bird,and need the to know the offset,so I can look for some rims.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts