TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
What is the tallest tire you can fit on these cars?

I've got 16" sport rims and would like to go taller for more ground clearance. I'll probably need to add an adapter up front to push the rim out a little to clear the spindle. Then do the same out back to make it match the front offset.

Has anyone gone taller than stock? What's the limit?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I ran some 235 75 15 in the rear with air shocks. Had to carry big blocks in the trunk thats what the air shocks were for. Now it has 225 60 16 on it finally got a truck.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Not for nothing but that's what the search button is for and on top of that third a million posts on this topic... Especially in this section.... Wheels 101 for dummies. Lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not for nothing but that's what the search button is for and on top of that third a million posts on this topic... Especially in this section.... Wheels 101 for dummies. Lol
If your refering to my question you are incorrect on both counts. I found one thread and it was from 2004. Nobody asks this question because no one wants to raise their car. Everyone wants to lower it or stay stock. It's okay though, I started a new thread. Still, I was expecting at least a mention of height in the Wheels 101 thread, but there's not. :(

·
Banned
613 Posts
My bad, you're right.... BUT. Same rules kinda apply to plus sizing. When I get home I'll look into more for you.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
How would a wheel (18x8) with a 48mm offset and 6.34 backspacing and 245/45/18 tires fit on a 95 T bird? Would the wheel be too close to the spindle?

With a 18x9 is it the tire or the wheel itself that is closest to the spindle? With a 245/45/18.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,013 Posts
48 is waaaaay too much offset. You'll likely be hitting the spindles with an 8" wheel, and if you aren't it will look and handle like crap(you're effectively reducing track width with high offsets), which pretty much defeats any and all purpose of going to 18s doncha think? Somewhere between +30mm and +39mm is what you need.

To answer your second question, the wheel. But both will hit the spindle if we're now talking a 9" wheel with the same +48mm offset

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can run a lower offset too

I figured I would share some pictures of my car, the wheels are my buddy's, they're Varrstoen MK3's, offset and everything made for a new Focus. The specs are 18x10 +27 all the way around, I just put them on mine to see what they would look like. The rears still sat a little inside the lip of the fender, the front sat flush with the lip. The set up looked great, just needed a lot more tire to look right in those massive wheel wells.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I figured I would share some pictures of my car, the wheels are my buddy's, they're Varrstoen MK3's, offset and everything made for a new Focus. The specs are 18x10 +27 all the way around, I just put them on mine to see what they would look like. The rears still sat a little inside the lip of the fender, the front sat flush with the lip. The set up looked great, just needed a lot more tire to look right in those massive wheel wells.
Those tires are WAY too narrow for those wheels. Not a big fan of the stretched look myself.

Also, much better way to "fill" the wheelwells is to lower the car.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts