TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so we always bust balls whenever someone has their sawblades on the wrong side of the car, and I am definitely in that group.

So, I got new tires on Friday (see where this is going?). The worst part is I did not notice until I got home and looked at them like three times! Probably cause I had the wheel caps off because I like to R&R them myself, so they looked unfinished anyway.

I ended up "rotating" them myself, and it worked out okay because I had not been under the car much since I got it. I was able to grease the suspension, notice how small the stock mid-pipe is, etc. I was surprised how close the e-brake was to the exhaust, so I made an "adjustment" with a 1/2" wide cable tie.

Anyway, it was something I got a chuckle out of!

Al

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Okay, so we always bust balls whenever someone has their sawblades on the wrong side of the car, and I am definitely in that group.

So, I got new tires on Friday (see where this is going?). The worst part is I did not notice until I got home and looked at them like three times! Probably cause I had the wheel caps off because I like to R&R them myself, so they looked unfinished anyway.

I ended up "rotating" them myself, and it worked out okay because I had not been under the car much since I got it. I was able to grease the suspension, notice how small the stock mid-pipe is, etc. I was surprised how close the e-brake was to the exhaust, so I made an "adjustment" with a 1/2" wide cable tie.

Anyway, it was something I got a chuckle out of!

Al
My last few sets of tires on my Thunderbird, my Mustang, etc have all been directional. I double check when the tires are mounted that they mount them correctly (I usually take them in off the car, hate when they use an impact on my lug nuts) and have made them fix them when they do it wrong.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never had an issue with my 95, so never thought to mention it. Even though I get free rotations, I usually rotate them myself at least every other time, they don't usually need balanced every time. I like to torque my own wheels.

What is the recommended torque on the factory wheels? The only info I found was 100 ft/lb for all T-Birds, all years, wtf!

I used 85 ft/lb on them, and 90 ft/lb on the CVPI's steel wheels. I tighten in two steps, 70, then 85.

Al

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I torque all my wheels to 85 ft-lbs, in a multi-step process.

·
Super Moderator
10,406 Posts
When I take tires some where, I:

• Label the wheel for a location
  • Label the tire for a location, and mark the direction of rotation (with FWD at the proper end)
  • Point this out to the guy running the tire machine, and ask him if he'll balance at 100. :) (no is typical. :) )
Check immediately when I pick it up. :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I torque all my wheels to 85 ft-lbs, in a multi-step process.
I start the lug nuts in the air, get them as tight as I can with the wheel free-wheeling (if on the front). Then lower the car so the tire is just touching the ground and won't move, and give each lug nut another bit of snug. Then once the car is on all fours, I do a final snug. I don't measure them, but have yet to have one loosen up on me after any distance, and I do check them after 25-50 miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My brother also has a '95 (Thunderbird that is), and we noticed one day that his wheels were on the wrong side of the car too. He had 4 new tires installed recently, but I don't know if he had the wheels corrected or not.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't measure them, but have yet to have one loosen up on me after any distance, and I do check them after 25-50 miles.
Some cars can warp the rotors if the wheels aren't torqued. That is a subject that is often debated, but by torqueing them, you have done all you can in that respect.

Al

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Some cars can warp the rotors if the wheels aren't torqued. That is a subject that is often debated, but by torqueing them, you have done all you can in that respect.

Al
I agree. My previous 1997 Thunderbird the rotors warped almost immediately after I let the tire shop put the wheels on with an impact wrench. This was stock rotors, brakes, etc. Ever since, I've hand torqued everything, and while it may not be "to spec" I have yet to warp a rotor myself, or have a lug nut come off on it's own. I do have two torque wrenches, so maybe I should just get in the habit of using them to torque the lugs down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts