TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking back to the parking deck at school today and came across this. No worries, it isn't my car. It certainly makes me want to change my ball joints now!!

I appoligize about the picture quality, this was taken with my phone.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Oh my god!! I'll make sure I don't let those suckers go bad now... Jeez

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
^^^ what did you think happens when a worn ball joint lets loose? Somethings got to hold your wheel spindle in the right place. It's the ball joints that do that. lol

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yea once the ball joint comes apart the wheel just folds up into the fender well. If your lucky it happens while your parking or something benign like that rather then cruising down the road.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
or down the highway.. the upper can do that too... makes me want to replace mine now more than ever...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Whoever owns that bird is actually rather lucky. It looks like it let loose at slow speed and they abandoned it in the turn lane where it rests. At speed failed ball joints can cause some really nasty wrecks...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
mine did that at 20 it broke and started rubbing and when i hit the brakes it dropped and drug the frame on the ground for a good 10 feet.

(in the ghetto :zwall: ) :D i got my chrome valve stem caps stolen :mad: within 5 min of waiting for a tow truck to come. i walked to the gas station 3 blocks away to call someone. and got back and they were gone :confused:

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Did that on my old Camaro , I was going about 45MPH and It was not a
fun ride ! When it finally stopped I could not move the car because the control arm was on the street, it left a long groove on the street . one of the things that saved me was that this happened around 3AM though .

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wow that’s not cool. I always wondered why car companies don’t just invert the ball joint 180* so if it goes bad it doesn’t drop the wheel like that? There must be a reason; maybe you might loose your steering if it locks up?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've had a grand prix's ball joint let loose, and a fox body Mustangs wheel bearings let loose. Both times it was in a parking lot. When you think about it, there is more stress on those parts in a parking lot than on a highway. All the turning, braking, accelerating, and speed bumps. On the highway there isn't much more strain on them than sitting still. Not that it couldn't happen on a highway (or sitting still for that matter).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine happend when i was turning around on a gravel road thank god! my buddy was not so lucky going down the gravel road and it let loose smashed his fender pretty good. It happend to him a week after mine let lose i gave him fare worning to change them.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I was driving on I-279 around Pittsburgh a few years ago. In front of me was a mid-'90s Buick Lesabre and we were cookin' along at 85 MPH. I had about five car lengths in front of me... which turned out to be enough.
His ball joint fell apart on the front driver's side wheel and immediately sent the car into a spin. He stomped his brakes and held on for dear life; I know this because he spun 180* and I was looking at his face.
The car eventually slid backward onto the shoulder and didn't hit anything - the soft earth slowed its momentum.
Needless to say, I check my ball joints often. That experience scared the hell out of me and it didn't even happen to me...

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
that gives me something to look forward to. It actually kinda scares me because i had a power steering pump fail on me while i was htting a turn at about 15mph in my buick. Def Scary, luckily i was the only one on the road or that car wouldnt be here anymore.

·
Registered
514 Posts
yep i had it happen to my 90 cougar fortunately it happened pulling into the driveway to my apartment complex. I'll look and see if i cant get those pics uploaded and put them in here

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
happened to me in front of my house I was lucky

bad thing was they came with a wheel lift tow truck to tow it and messed up my bumper

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
yea this actually happend to me too in my old thunderbird, i was at a red light making a left hand turn, got about 3/4 the way around the turn and front end fell to the ground.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
oh to finish off my story... I had taken the tbird off the road so stupid me felt like driving it ... I'm lucky I didnt get pulled over because I heard funny noises and the car was dragging about a half a block from where it fell (like the picture)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts