TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need to replace a few (haven't officially diagnosed it yet) balljoints in my front end. Will the springs need to be compressed and removed for this? I was considering just going ahead with lowering springs if that's the case.

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
welcome to the club! lol Those stupid ball joints have been the bane of my very existence for a couple weeks now, and I just had one of the uppers go bad. GRRR.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Drive XR7 said:
I will need to replace a few (haven't officially diagnosed it yet) balljoints in my front end. Will the springs need to be compressed and removed for this? I was considering just going ahead with lowering springs if that's the case.
Nope the upper and lower control arms are sepreate peices from the shock that holds the spring and really any other ball joints like the tie rod end and the stabilizer endlink so you dont need to compress the springs. If you wanna lower it you have to take the whole shock and spring unit out to remove the spring

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you are planning on dropping it a little, now would be a good time to do them. When the lowers and uppers are out, you have plenty of room to get the sping/shock out.

Joe

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It's probably easier to replace the whole lower control arm rather than just the ball joint, and for the upper ball joints, you don't have a choice--it's the whole arm or nothing. If you're replacing the upper control arms, you don't even need to remove the tires from the car, let alone the springs. Just jack the car up, zip tie the spindle to the coil spring and remove the upper arm.

·
8,239 Posts
Will is absolutely right.

Get the entire control arm from rockauto and don't mess around pressing new joints into an old arm. The new arms have new bushings also, just bolt it on.

Get the car up in the air and check out the suspension before you order anything, if the upper boots are ripped then the uppers are probably bad, any play in any of the balljoints and you need to replace the arm.

If you replace the lower control arms you need to get a wheel alignment after, the uppers you don't need to get an alignment done.

JH

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have fun getting to the nut and bolt for the upper arms ;)

Jay

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did mine last year and it wasn't really that hard. I replaced the upper control arm (no choice) and pressed in new ball joints in the bottom. I changed the accessible bushings too while I was in there. You can rent the press and pickle forks from the parts stores for free. Don't buy the cheap press from Harbor Freight, it won't work and you'll be there all day trying. Change the link too while you're in there, it's cheap and they make annoying noises when they go bad.

Stee

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
FordMan77 said:

Jay
An 18mm ratcheting wrench is the only way to do this while still maintaining your sanity.

·
8,239 Posts
Toughen up boys, I did it with a 18mm regular open ended wrench.

Its lots of fun you have to turn it like 1/8th of a turn each time.
JH

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
JustinH said:
Its lots of fun you have to turn it like 1/8th of a turn each time.
JH

ugh.. memories of that f**king power steering bolt..

:shudders:

·
Registered
203 Posts
i love my power tools and press. haha to all you suckas that hve to use hand tools! it was easy to replace the lower ball joints if you have access to a ball jiont press or just a regular press.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
tbirdman93 said:
i love my power tools and press. haha to all you suckas that hve to use hand tools! it was easy to replace the lower ball joints if you have access to a ball jiont press or just a regular press.
Well, I have power tools and a bigger press than I'll ever need (50 tons). Power tools do no good on the upper control arms in the first place. Since an entire lower control arm is a less than $60 and comes with a new balljoint, shock bushing and control arm to frame bushing, and the balljoint by itself is $45, the shock bushings are $12, and I didn't price the other bushing..........

now who's the sucka??????

Plus, for the price difference and ease of installation, it's worth the extra $15. If it a shop job, I'd charge 1 hour for the lower control arm replacement ($60), or 3 hours labor for balljoint only labor. ($180)

Make sense now?

·
Registered
203 Posts
i guess but i still like to use my press! lol. i payed 26 a side for my ball joints today and already had the lower control arms out so i pressed the old ones out and put the new ones in in about 20 mins. for someone who doesn't have a press, just buy the new lower control arm, like said above it will be so much easier. oh yeh, you're still the sucka just 'cause lol!

·
6,253 Posts
on that note.. anyone want a set of used lowers to install ball joints in? :D cheap.. pay shipping

I

·
0 Posts
FordMan77 said:

Jay

Yeah, no Sh--, I couldn't even loosen one on the driver's side, sucker wouldn't even budge. Likely have to go to a nut breaker.

·
Registered
359 Posts
JustinH said:
Will is absolutely right.

Get the entire control arm from rockauto and don't mess around pressing new joints into an old arm. The new arms have new bushings also, just bolt it on.

Get the car up in the air and check out the suspension before you order anything, if the upper boots are ripped then the uppers are probably bad, any play in any of the balljoints and you need to replace the arm.

If you replace the lower control arms you need to get a wheel alignment after, the uppers you don't need to get an alignment done.

JH
I noticed that Rock Auto has a good price on Moog lower control arms. Moog has a good name but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Moog arm vs. the Ford factory replacement. The Moog is about 1/2 the price.

·
6,253 Posts
Moog, Federal Mogul and TRW are all the same company

guess who the OEM builder is for the Ford arm? TRW :D check your old ones, you'll see the TRW stamp

1 - 20 of 21 Posts