TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about done rewiring, modifying, cutting, and doing all sorts of stuff to my car, and it'll be ready to receive it's new engine soon. I was wondering, where are some good places to get a good used engine? I see some deals on ebay sometimes, are there any other places that are recommended? Don't say my local junkyard, it's a POS, lol.

Basically, I'm looking for a PI motor, either aluminum or iron block, would prefer aluminum. Trying for less than 50-60K miles on it also. Would rather have one with COP and wiring harness so I can do the conversion from coil packs.

Or, a a good 4 valve would be okay also, although I don't relish the idea of spending all that $$ on top end parts like cams and intake. The 2 valve is cheaper with half the parts, lol.

The stock engine and harness are still in the car, so it is ready to convert to whatever engine goes in.

Oh yeah, and does it matter if I get a six or eight bolt crank? Let's say I get an 8 bolt (car has a 6 bolt now), can I just use an 8 bolt flexplate with my 11 1/4" converter?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, okay I'll check those out also. I got my trans from greenleaf, but they seem a bit pricey on engines...especially cop car and Mustang engines. I wonder if they know that those engines aren't anything special, lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
I found my best deal at a small, local, non-internet connected junkyard.

Be sure to look it over before you buy; some guys will sell you core motors for the same price... :mad:

I bought a 98 dohc for <$600, with 68k on the odo. :D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Bringing up an old thread, but what did you guys pay for shipping on engines at greenleaf....or is shipping built in to the price?

depends on the freight company, use of a lift gate truck, and where you are.

I paid 360$ in freight with a lift gate truck to deliver to residential almost three years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts