TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I never see them here either. But I dont think it increases the value cause the few that are for sale are in good condition for 2 grand or less. But I cant speak for what they are selling for in NY.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
In order for the value to increase, they would need to become more desireable. Not exactly a sought after vehicle at this point in time, not until they reach classic status and even then, a base model 89 wouldnt be worth nearly as much as an 89 Supercoupe - the special editions / high performance model vehicles normally have the highest resale. I wouldnt count on anything besides the SC's really becoming anything of a collectors item.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You will see a lot of them out in the country, rotting away being used as daily drivers. The Thunderbird/Cougar wasn't as mass produced in the same numbers as a Taurus or Mustang, you will find similar vintage mustangs and taurii on the road, but the thunderbird was always a low production vehicle in comparison.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like most cars, I never noticed too many MN12 platform cars until I got my 94 XR7. But now when I do see one, I recognize it instantly, it just grabs my attention. But I don't see them as often as I thought I would. But in regard to the value of the cars, I don't think they are gaining or boosted in value by the fact they are not that common. Recently I saw a rerun of a Mecum Auctions episode where a 1996 XR7 was for sale. Under 50k miles and when I say mint condition, they said it still had the new car smell to it. It was incredible. Two parties got in a bidding war over it...and it sold for like $12,000. Thats high end price at a famous auction. On the average market, I see most with between 80k and 100k miles that were well cared for still go for under $2500 all the time.

However, in my situation the bummer with them is there are not enough in my area to find a salvage passenger fender. Mine got crumpled last October :(

·
Registered
410 Posts
Like most cars, I never noticed too many MN12 platform cars until I got my 94 XR7. But now when I do see one, I recognize it instantly, it just grabs my attention. But I don't see them as often as I thought I would. But in regard to the value of the cars, I don't think they are gaining or boosted in value by the fact they are not that common. Recently I saw a rerun of a Mecum Auctions episode where a 1996 XR7 was for sale. Under 50k miles and when I say mint condition, they said it still had the new car smell to it. It was incredible. Two parties got in a bidding war over it...and it sold for like $12,000. Thats high end price at a famous auction. On the average market, I see most with between 80k and 100k miles that were well cared for still go for under $2500 all the time.

However, in my situation the bummer with them is there are not enough in my area to find a salvage passenger fender. Mine got crumpled last October :(
I went to a junkyard last year, where in 2011 i was able to piece together body parts for a 1992 mercury sable. In 2015....not even one 1990s taurus, only one Panther Platform vehicle from the 1998-2011 production, etc. Scrap values are going down, and with that the incentive to scrap these cars. it's a double edged sword.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've had my 91 XR7 since 1993 and it's been my only car since that time. Driven it about 200,000 miles and not once has any stranger commented on it "nice car", etc like I heard all the time with my 70 Cougar (1980-1993). Not that I'm looking for that, or want/need it. I don't. But my point is, not many people like these cars compared to real Cougars 1967-1970. It's going to be a long time before you see these cars becoming highly valuable.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Here in Pensacola I have seen one T-bird and its in pretty bad shape. As far as Cougars I haven't seen a single 80's or 90's car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts