TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced my door a long time ago and i never got the side molding on the passenger side. is there anywhere i can get this from. i checked the dealer and they want like 90$ for the strip and it needs to be painted to match. that's more that i payed for the whole door. i have looked on the net all over and sites like jc whitney and none of them seem to have the replacement ones.

also is there an easy way to remove the old one on the other side(without damaging the paint), becasue if it's just as easy i'll pull the other side off and make the car look a little sharper at the same time. but i don't wanna have to cut it off with a razor because that messed up the paint when i did it before.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i bought one from a 5-star ford dealership....wasn't nothing to put on...just came with tape and stuck right on..

bad part about ti though was the price....i think it was 80$...or $130...

cause i put a different door on mine and needed the window runner and the molding...took about 30-45mins for both together

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have some 90 LX moldings...

I have the thick moldings that were on the 89-91 birds with the chrome insert if you want that..you didn't give your year... If you want to take it off I suggest a heat gun, that's what I used when I took mine off anf it was fast n effective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is a 93, the body molding code is g and the body code lx2
it doesn't have chrome in it. it's a strip about 2 inches wide and it is painted to match the color of the car.

could you maybe go into a little more detail on how you use a heat gun?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Heat gun....

Basically what i did in order not to mess up my paint all to much, (even tho I didn't care cus it was getting painted) was this. I took the heat gun and started at the end of the trim (say back of the door) and blew the heat in behind the trim. It made the 3m tape kinda runny and sticky. I then got under the end with a plastic scrapper and once I had it started I just pulled it all off. Now after that was done I used the heat gun again along with goo gone to remove the left over tape goo. As for finding that trim I would start checking the junk yards. I wanted to get a new piece of trim for the SC molding I put on...the little 4 inch piece on the front fender went for 42 bucks! I would say better go to a yard.

I have other things I could quote you prices from ford and what I got it for at a junk yard. :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
hubb- did you get the new door at a dealership? how much was it if you did, and was it actually new? i could use a driver door, and maybe a passenger cause of that nasty rust problem... -greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it a a "U-wrench-it" junk yard, i think it was only like 30$, but i had to paint it to match as i have a very odd color on my bird. make sure you get the t-bird door and not a cougar like i did, they'll fit but they have a chrome strip on them that the t-birds don't. mine is still on there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't think even a regular junk yard would be too much more than 30$. the bad thing about where i got it from is that you have to pull it off your self and sometimes it's hard to find a t-bird with the correct door you need that has not had any damage to it. i bet there would be one of those do-it-yourself type junkyards where you live. they're getting pretty popular.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
actually tbirds did have the chrome strip, cause my '90 base has one... well, first im going to see how much itll be to fix my window lifter arm and get the rust repaired on the bottom.. ithink i can prolyl just go to a junk yard and get the plastic slot thing the window goes into and take it to a window place and have them set it in there (cause ive tried many things and it wont work, infact i broke it trying). ill go to a body shop and see about having them welding some sheet metal to the bottom, on both sides of the car, and over where my attenea and trnk key hole used to be. -greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts