Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
juz wonderin how fast your bird goes till the governer kicks in

108mph

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I don't know, my Cougar won't hit the top speed limiter (which doesn't exist anymore anyway) in the 1/4 mile, and going that fast on a public street is stupid.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
DeeDeeArrGuy said:
juz wonderin how fast your bird goes till the governer kicks in

108mph
everyone's governer is the same, i beleive its set at 106 or 107 from the factory. most people have the speed limiter removed when they get a chip. i've been up to about 135 mph in my bird once. could have kept going probably but i decided to call it quits.

Frank

·
Registered
744 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
everyone's governer is the same, i beleive its set at 106 or 107 from the factory. most people have the speed limiter removed when they get a chip. i've been up to about 135 mph in my bird once. could have kept going probably but i decided to call it quits.

Frank
governors limit trottle position based on speed.

mn12's have a rev limiter (yes, there's a differnece) and yes they are set the same, but based on rear end gears, engine perfomance, overall tire diameter will all be factors on your speed at that set rev limit.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
tomaso12 said:
governors limit trottle position based on speed.

mn12's have a rev limiter (yes, there's a differnece) and yes they are set the same, but based on rear end gears, engine perfomance, overall tire diameter will all be factors on your speed at that set rev limit.
they also have top speed limiters

·
Registered
744 Posts
your right. it's the cars w/ the 4R70w that have govenors. the rest have speed limiters and the manual sc's i believe don't have anything.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
I don't know, my Cougar won't hit the top speed limiter (which doesn't exist anymore anyway) in the 1/4 mile, and going that fast on a public street is stupid.
I'm with Rich on this one.. I won't lie to anyone - I've taken my 'Bird to triple digit speeds on the highway before, but I won't tell anyone it's the safe thing to do. I know the risks I'm taking - from meeting a cop and getting a hellacious speeding ticket to losing control and potentinally injuring myself or another person.

But since you ask - I have yet to hit my speed limiter :D And I'm not sure where the early SC's were governed at.

-Andy "Melon"

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
the 4.6- 105 or whatever the limiter is at

the 90 beater bird...i couldnt tell ya...the spedo only goes to 85 and it keeps climbing for a while, and the needle goes off the spedo

:confused: :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It is stupid but I have done it before. The old Fifth Avenue (not stock) could go, well lets just say 70 kms in a very short time. The Grand Marquis, well Im not sure, modified 351 with 3.27 gears and AOD I can only guess the speedo stopped at 160KM/H thats as far as I ever took it, the Cat has been to the 85 MPH limit on the speedo but still has more. I stopped doing this a while ago, maybe I have grown up a bit lol ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got my baby up to 122mph, and I have the $%@# speeding ticket to prove it. Cop almost arrested me for criminal recklessness. Trust me, going fast is fun, but it is expensive....and dangerous. Wouldn't do it again. I had just bought my bird 2 weeks beforehand....can't blame my foot for being happy!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ive had my v8 bird for about 6 months now and have never gone over 75, its just stupid, why would you want to?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not saying it isnt stupid, but personally after I put alot of work into the Fifth and The GM I wanted to know what they could do but that was two years ago and I stopped pushing my luck on the highways. With the Cat I guess I had a one time relapse. lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you joking? Okay, 125 is a bit insane I admit. Not that often am I able to get up to more than 80, but that's normal highway driving. Here in Southern CA, I am rarely able to push more than 40 due to the traffic.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well I have been past the 120mph speedometer. No idea how fast after that, the car accelerated for a long time.
I see nothing wrong with driving at high speeds (above 100). As lond as NO ONE else is on the road, it is well lit, smooth, and there is a considerable clear view of the road ahead. No doubt some will say this is immature, you will kill yourself, etc. I am a member of Fire and Rescue and have seen how car crashes can tear humans to pieces at speeds of 40mph. As long as an individual knows there limits, has some driving abilities, a good car, and doesn't endanger other lives, Go see what that car can do!

After you reach some top speed safely, you will realize it isn't that exciting, and you will probably enjoy fast accelerating, and a cars handling more.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
exactly, i did it once, with my 3.8, things happen fast at 105-110 mph, now that i have my v8, i get my thrills at thr dragstrip, acceleration is so much fun, and the trip to and from work is a blast in a car with IRS, i love my car(s) and dont feel the need to push them beyond what is legal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I was riding shotgun in my buddies new 99 Cobra (6 years ago), we were doing about 152 mph on a 2-lane State highway, when a car almost pulled out onto the highway, I can tell you now, if they hadn't looked twice before pulling out, I would have been a grease spot on the road that day. They didn't pull out, and when we started breathing again, we realized how lucky we were, there was no way anybody in either car would have survived it.

Not worth it unless your on a closed circuit.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
115 on a wisonsin 2 lane highway. passing cars going 115 while there going 70 is almost to funny to watch

I would rather enjoy going 0-80 in 2 seconds

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was doing about 70 going through Texas on my drive across country and was passed by a white lamborghini that had to have been doing about 150, and all I can say is....whoa! I saw HER coming from behind me and I pulled over into the slow lane, SHE flew past, and I didn't see HER ever again. I kept looking for a glimpse of HER every time I passed a gas station, but, as the song says...."She's gone".

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Too much "street racing", time to lock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.