TCCoA Forums banner

101 - 120 of 786 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm a network manager/engineer for the Federal Gov't at a data processing center. Officially I'm an "Information Technologist (Networking)"

Like I tell my customers: "I'm the guy that guarantees that you can read what you get when you hit the "enter" key.... But I don't guarantee that it's "what" you want to read!"

We have a world wide customer base and for some strange reason we've been staying pretty busy lately…:wavey: :usa:

·
Registered
425 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
Unless the job market rebounds yes. Too many displaced engineers with experience needing jobs since the dot com bust.

&#(*$&#!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hmm.. interesting thread...
well.... my father is an electrical engineer, all 3 of my brothers are mechanical engineers.. what am i? if you said engineer wrong...

I work in comission sales. And I probably make the most money of any 20 year old you have ever met. :) I can't complain, although I never seem to have any money because i'm always buying things.

I sell pro audio gear, theatre lighting, and some dj crap :)
So if anyone here is in a band and needs some equipment, let me know, i can hook you up. But this is one of those things where if your not into the market, you have no clue what pro audio is.

I used to work at Best Buy (blah!) i did sales (car audio) there for a long time, and then i was an installer for awhile as well. Which was kind of cool, but you are always sore, from being in weird positions working on cars, and some people have the ****ties/dirtiest cars... :

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Speaking of Ron Jeremy back on the first page. I work with more hos than Ron Jeremy could ever imagine...or is it hose, either way. I work in a Good Year plant that makes belts and hoses. I work on the hose side, I have an internship/coop there as an area manager. I am 21, I am a manager in a union plant, how do you think that goes over?

Also a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Nebraska, why do I have an internship as a manager, that is a damn good question. It is a real crappy job, I hate it, but lets stop to think of what I wouldn't have without that job...DOHC 4.6L, 4.10's, a dynotech driveshaft, a truck so I don't have to drive my car in the snow, a nice bike to ride to campus on. What I am saying is that it pays well, very well.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I is da' movie man! I sell tickets, concessions, start the movies, work out at our Maize Maze a little bit during the summer and clean the mud and aftermath of it, clean up whatever the friggin' gay(litterally) boss wants, like the oven hood from home that one time. But, I get free movies and popcorn and only pay $.25 for my pop and get free refills. Now when grandma says, "I can remember when movies only cost $.35 for pop, popcorn, and the movie." I can say, "I only pay $.25, beat that!" It's better than (what a coworker that quit for a lil while said...) feeling like getting rapped in the a$$ ( :uppoint: ) from paying that high of a price for movies and stuff. I used to be a Grocery ASSistant, but it sucked worse. [email protected] Amish and their horses, that was only once, but it sucked all the same.
Here's the place where I work:

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Mechanical Engineer here. I design automobile shredders. Eat a whole car in less than 20 seconds. All parts come out in pieces about the size of your fist. Range in power from 1500-3000 HP.
It's very destructive and it's a lot of fun. The automobile shredders are the largest ones, but we do a whole bunch of smaller machines and a bunch of different types.
This is a machine that uses a lot of torque to shred things. That thing being shredded is an old laundry dryer. How much torque you ask? How about 98,000 lb-ft per shaft. Each shaft has it's own hydraulic motor and power unit.

Fun fun fun.

A fringe benefit is that potential customers will send in samples for test shredding. I guess I'm part vulture, because I'm a scavenger. Well, you can put two and two together.

Oh, and also, I make gauge faces, as a number of you know.:)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
You mean being the #1 Stunna doesn't pay the bills?
#1 Stunna? Wha, w-wha what? As long as he can "Still Fly". :D

I

·
0 Posts
I produce Nascar for the Fox Network. We just bought out GM's share of DirecTV today, so our plan for global domination is now one step closer to fruition.

That's how I make my money. However, I (involuntarily) spend a significant chunk of it supporting the have-nots in California. Thanks again, Governor Davis!!

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
ice_nyne said:

That's how I make my money. However, I (involuntarily) spend a significant chunk of it supporting the have-nots in California. Thanks again, Governor Davis!!

No shizzle. Can you believe that the idiots out here voted him in for another term?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Can you believe that the idiots out here voted him in for another term?
Yes, I can believe it. But I still feel sorry for those who involuntarily have to put up with old "Grayout" Davis and the freaks that elected him.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
I'm still in a state of disbelief. Are there that many left-wing puppets in California? Welll.... I guess the SMOG laws are proof of that...

EDIT: And the fact that this jerkoff is paying for his budget deficit by cutting monies from Community Colleges. My tuition is more than doubling, from 11/unit to 24/unit. Daily permits have already gone up to 2 bucks per day, the semester permit will probably hit 30-40 next semester. And they've fired atleast a dozen people just out of this small campus. A friend of mine (probably one of their best SysAdmins) got cut because of the lack of funds. Thanks Davis. /soapbox

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Your semester permits are $30-$40? We pay over $200 for the school year to park pretty far from class. I forgot the price, I bought a bike instead of a permit, it lasts longer and I live almost as close to campus as some for the pakring lots.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
scotthrbacek said:
I design automobile shredders. Eat a whole car in less than 20 seconds. All parts come out in pieces about the size of your fist.
These thing don't shred MN12's too do they?? :leftright They're designed not to work with '95 SC 5 spds. right?

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
They sure do. It's up to the disgression of the scrap yard as to what lives and what "dies"

I can have some sensors and logic added to the system so that any supercharged V6 with a clutch pedal stops the system, and calls me at home.:thumbsup: Just kidding.

About the only thing that they do to the cars is remove the fuel tank. Those things can make a hellacious explosion if they are left in. So do propane tanks.

101 - 120 of 786 Posts