TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, becuase my 2-3 shift is Da*N close to 6K rpm. Seems like it's too high, and I know my tc isnt going to hold up to that kind of rpm for long. Can anyone say hello 5speed!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
From the graphs iv seen the 96-up NPI motors flatten out at around 4,500rpm and start going down at 5,000rpm. And this was a slightly modded on too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is no reason for a shift at that high a rpm?

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Stock mine shifts slightly below 5K, that's with a good strong running 4.6L and healthy tranny that's only got 88k miles on them.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
to determine optimum shift points you need to datalog acceleration rate....the proper shift point is the one that minimizes the loss of acceleration........but if you still have the stock torque converter, i'd definitely keep them below 5400

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
So there is no reason for a shift at that high a rpm?

Not without a set of aftermarket cams and a good dual exhaust.

PI cams top out at 5K and plateau for the most part, NPI cams even lower.

I found my best acceleration was a 1-2 shift at 5K and 2-3 at 4800RPM with PI cams and intake on an NPI motor. Anything over 5K in 2nd gear and the engine was laying down pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The advantage I see in spinning it up on WOT past the peak touque is when you shift in to second the motor will spin up quicker. My PI with Jtune shifts at over 6k, torque starts droping at 4500, hp at 5500 but nothing drastic. It goes from 4500 to 6500 in first in a blink of an eye. Second pulls like a MF.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My car revs to 6100 rpm but seeing how the rpm needle's are wrong in these cars it is more like 5400.The car pulls hard all the way to redline which I know is well beyond 5k rpm.Second gear in the car is amazing at high rpms.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You need a datalogger or dyno to see the actual rpm. It's likely your tach is just way off like most fords.

·
Registered
892 Posts
My car has a tune from lonnie. Why do you ask Bradone?
Lonnie is the one to ask then, not this board. He will have his design notes on the tune. The other part might be that most of us who actually run these things know, stock tachs are more for fun, not really very realistic!

Brad

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Not without a set of aftermarket cams and a good dual exhaust.

PI cams top out at 5K and plateau for the most part, NPI cams even lower.

I found my best acceleration was a 1-2 shift at 5K and 2-3 at 4800RPM with PI cams and intake on an NPI motor. Anything over 5K in 2nd gear and the engine was laying down pretty fast.
im curious to see your datalog for a WOT run with those shift points and with higher ones as well....i would tend to think PI cams/intake would benefit from slightly higher shift points

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Plenty of the Mustang guys found 5K to be good as well and they have a much better exhaust. It was really evident on the 2-3 shift, the car lost acceleration above 5K here.

Might be a moot point for me now anyway -http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=102998

I was rear ended last night and my passenger side frame rail is buckled. After looking up the current Blue Book I am thinking I might be forced into another car shortly. I will be finding out in the next few days whats going to happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts