TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out with this wire?

The colour didn't quite come out properly in the picture; it's a yellow wire with a white stripe. The car is a 94 Thunderbird LX with a 3.8L.

It doesn't seem to effect the running of the car, but it's driving me nuts to see the wire there and not connected to anything.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sending unit in the back of the motor on the water pipe.It's right below your hand

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Agreed, though I doubt that he has that sensor on his '90, in which case it gets left disconnected.

-Rod

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually swapped the engine from my 90 Cougar into the 94. I picked up the 94 for $200 as it had a dead engine (spun bearings). I'm assuming that this wire was for running the electric fan. I don't like electric fans, so I used my old clutch fan setup from the 90! :D

Thanks for the replies.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Oops, I thought I saw a "90" on his profile.

That wire has nothing at all to do with running the electric cooling fan. It's used for the auto climate system.

-Rod

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. It's good to know these things. The engine swap was a pain in the butt, just because of the crappy 3.8L engine mounts. I'd like to string up the engineer who designed them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
So if I do not have auto climate control, this wire does not get hooked up? I just did some fiddling at the back of my motor, and this wire showed up. I have a 96 4.6 without auto climate. This wire is driving me crazy...

·
5,650 Posts
It senses the temperature of the coolant and prevents the blower motor from operating when the coolant isn't hot enough and you want the heater to work. This stops it from blowing cold air when you want hot. If you don't have it plugged in or don't have the sensor, the blower motor will run no matter what. No big deal.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i'm glad i found a 93 cougar donor for my 93 t-bird!
so many people said its gonna take weeks to get it swapped......took a day and a half 1st day set the motor in and hooked up the trans and motor mounts, 2nd day all the wires found their home.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, I have wondered for months what that was there for. I swapped a 2004 3.9L out of a mustang into my 96 and could not for the life of me remember where the hell that wire was attached before I pulled the motor. My wife was laughing at me telling me I shouldn't have been drinking. Well HAH, who's laughing now? Cool I can cut it out now. Thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts