TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

The time will come soon for a TRUE dual exhaust system for my 97 Limited Edition. Been throwing a light for cats a long time and I want to get a true dual system, preferably with Flowmasters, or anything that has that sharp crackle.

What's a good shop in the Westland/Wayne/Plymouth/Canton or close-by areas that I can visit?

Some guy in Wayne quoted me $450 ~ $500 for a single Dynomax in the center of the car under the seats that has a dual in-dual out configuration. At this point I'm not sure what setup I want to go with. Should I go for that mid-mount or go for 2 mufflers at the rear? I'm looking to spend in that price range and gain a little more horsepower.

One thing I want to avoid though is what happened with my previous '88 Thunderbird with a 5.0, I had true duals put on it and from that day on it ran really rich to where I could smell it inside and obviously outside. The place I had it done at no longer exists.

Any thoughts as to where I should go, who I should see and what setup would be good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Only thing I can say since the guy I would have told you to go left, is that the mid-mount muffler takes away the view of the muffler when behind it. if you don't want to see the muffler get the mid-mount if you don't care go with the flows in the rear. That's my opinion.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Jurgen, I'll call D&S when I get a chance, more than likely over the weekend. I'm still a couple of months away from doing this due to cash flow. Where did you get your Cobra R rims? I'm looking for a set of those in silver, not chrome. What set up of exhaust do you have? Would a single mid-mounted dual in-dual out muffler act as a "pseudo-crossver"?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Most folks here that have the mid-mounted DI/DO muffler have a magnaflow. It actually has a set up inside that resembles an X-pipe. So yes, as long as the muffler "mixes" the flow from both sides before sending the exhaust back out the two outlets, it will equalize the pressure. (not to mention, only having to buy one muffler instead of two)

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I may just go with that single Magnaflow.

How's the sound?

I'm wondering also if I should go for "off-road" or high flow cats. Last time I really hated that rich gasoline smell from the exhaust; it made me sick to my stomach in my '88!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
lol Well, I think it sounds great. Its not too loud, and doesn't drone. I have the original cats and downtubes, with the magnaflow where the third cat was. The guys at the meets I've been to have heard it, and they seem to like the way it sounds.

In fact the first car this exhaust was installed in was my 97 LE. :D

http://members.tccoa.com/traveler/exhaust.html

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again!

I'm leaning now more and more to your set up, do you remember what part number that Magnaflow is? Were the pipes 2.25 or 2.5 on yours?

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
seems to me that you should just wait till the meet in may and see what car u like the way it sounds...

another place but over on the east side is PF & E, im the 3rd or 4th person to get work done there from tccoa

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks again!

I'm leaning now more and more to your set up, do you remember what part number that Magnaflow is? Were the pipes 2.25 or 2.5 on yours?
Not sure on the parts number. The pipes are 2.25, the muffler has 2.5 inlets and outlets. Didn't plan it that way, but I found the muffler on Ebay at a great price, so I snagged it. Then I used 2.25" pipe as it cost less, and I didn't really need 2.5" pipe.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for your replies! I'll try to make it to the meet in May to hang out and listen!

Jurgen: Where did you get your Cobra R rims? I'm looking for a set of those in silver, not chrome.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Thanks again for your replies! I'll try to make it to the meet in May to hang out and listen!

Jurgen: Where did you get your Cobra R rims? I'm looking for a set of those in silver, not chrome.
i got the rims long time ago from karkraft but they dont make em anymore if you want the silver ones check with ford racing they use to have the silver ones .

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
yeah Vaughn left I called up there to get him to fix my hanger and he aint there no more he went back down south.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Traveler,

Do you recall what part number your Magnaflow is or any of the size dimensions, like what size oval? On their website there are 3 different sizes and I want to make sure I get the right one!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
No, can't remember the part number, or the dimensions. But sometime this weekend I can get under it and check, if the weather holds out.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Traveler!

That'll help tremendously, I went back to the muffler shop I first went to and the guy said yesterday that if I supply the muffler and the 2 cats he would do it for me for $350 - $400. I'm going with the hi-flow cats from Magnaflow, part number 94004, and the set up will mimic yours with the removal of the 3rd cat. I looked at Magnaflow's site and I'm sure the dimensions for the muffler are 4x9, part # 11378. But I'd still like your sizes just to confirm it. The guy told me to go for 2.25 instead of 2.5 for fit.

Whatever he does to it will be an improvement; I'm still running the original stock set up on my Limited Edition and I've been throwing a light for cats for about 2 years!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
is it me or does $350 to $400 sound a little steep for an exhaust, especially with supplied muffler and cat's???

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ain't you, I thought so too, but this guy is close to home. My only other recourse is to hit a muffler shop in Mexicantown (cheaper), but would it be quality work? Plus I'd have to stick around for the 3-4 hours the job would take. Close to home I could get a ride back home to hang until the job is done.

I welcome any opinions!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts