TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Can someone locate for me the "forgot my key in the ignition" chime? The thing always goes on when I open the door and I want to disconnect it.( Is it the rather large white box to the left of the steering column?) Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
i've asked this same question. i dont know. but it may be because your ignition switch is screwy. i can jiggle mine and it'll stop.

you will also loose the chime when you leave your headlights on.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I did this a while ago, so you might want to verify with someone else, but I believe this is how it goes----

If you remove the ignition lock (put the key in and set to the "on" position), then look under the steering column, there is a small hole that you need to put a some type of pin through ( I used a really smaller screw driver) to push up a lock. Then you can pull the whole ignition lock out.

Once you remove the ignition lock, you will see a small metal piece in there that hooks onto the steering components. I put a piece of electrical tape on it to prevent the metal from touching the iginition lock. This will leave the circuit open and prevent it from closing which sends the signal to make the chime go off.

hopefully this isn't to confusing.

**FYI, you may also want to disconnect the battery before doing this and let the car sit for a while, so that it disengages the drivers airbag. I did it without doing this, but I was careful so if you don't disconnect the battery--- preform at your own risk.

·
5,650 Posts
The actual device that creates the chime plugs into the fuse panel. The switch responsible for the key chime is a one-wire metal tab that attaches to the steering column right where the lock cylinder goes into the column. Cut or remove this one wire and it won't chime, or try to figure out why it is stuck.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just pull that white box out slightly, don't completely remove it because it also kills the wipers. I kick it back into place when it rains.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've always wondered that

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Don't pull the box out, it also controls a few other things. You don't want a poor connection in there due to the box being halfway loose. Loose connection= resistance = heat = melted panel. Not saying it will happen, but it could.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts