TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Here is my problem. I have a 94 T-bird 4.6 80500 miles. It just started consuming oil. This oil change I don't even have 3000 miles and I have used 3qt's of oil. :redmad: So I replaced my PCV valve, Checked #1 sparkplug to see if there was ash on it. (Talking to the guy at a the dealer ship said to look for ash on it) I don't ever see any blue smoke out the exhaust, no drips on the pavement. I also didn't notice any decrease in gas mileage. All seems fine. Just I am haveing my oil dissapere. Any Ideas on where it could be going, What to look for. If I was burning it what are some of the signs? I was told to try a leak down test? I thought that was to check for proper sealing of the rings. I don't know. I know it is the nature of these engiens to burn some oil. My 04 stang dose but it is 1/2 qt every 3k miles. Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
on my old 95 it would burn 2-3 quarts per oil change too. Ford says 1 quart per 1000 miles is ok on a higher mileage engine. The 94/95 v8s were famous for crap valve stem seals and do burn oil. I say if you dont see any blue smoke or decrease in mileage/performance/oil pressure then you should be fine...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It is likely the valve seals. While nothing besides new valve seals will fix it:

Let the car get up to operating temp and sit in gear for about 30 seconds to a minute. Give it gas and take off (like sitting at a stop light and taking off) and watch for smoke, you will likely see some out of the tailpipes.

Using a different brand of oil can help, the high mileage stuff that some have out can help (and the valvoline brand is not much more than the regular oil now, it used to be double). It can get to the point that your EGR passages start getting clogged more often or worse due to oil consumption.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mn12sskiller said:
check the oil pressure sending unit...the thing by the oil filter that has a wire attached to it. Thats where my old motor (before it spun a bearing) was leaking from.

Well I don't ever seen any oil spots under my car. I will try checking the things mentioned above. Also Dose anyone think It could be caused only when it is running and the system is under pressure?

·
5,650 Posts
speeddriven94 said:
Well I don't ever seen any oil spots under my car. I will try checking the things mentioned above. Also Dose anyone think It could be caused only when it is running and the system is under pressure?
Very unlikely because it would be leaking while you are driving, and wherever it leaked from there would be a stream of oil. When you parked, whatever was left of that stream starting at the source would drip onto the ground, not to mention everything would be pretty grimy under there.

I think it's the valve stem seals.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sounds like valve stem seals to me also. The reason you are not seeing smoke is that the cats are catching it. I didn't see any smoke from mine until I had the cats removed. Boy did it smoke then!

I used Lucas oil stabilizer to make it stop (one quart at oil change). Some don't like that idea, but it worked for me. Changing the seals is the real fix though.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts