TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Passenger side. Under the head and exhaust manifold and bolted to the transmission with 3 bolts. One of them, the top bolt, is a PITA bolt.

Darrin

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Darrin said:
... One of them, the top bolt, is a PITA bolt.

Darrin
It's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Just use 1 swivel extension and enough extensions to reach to the front of the motor. I had mine out in one attempt in just minutes.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you jack up the passengers side and remove the front tire, then roll under where the tire was and look straight up. Can't miss it.

This is also a good time to get a nice high spraying pb blaster in a rather confined area, not that I am promoting this.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
some of us get smart and only put two bolts back in:)
Or, go down to the local hardware store, and get a replacement bolt. The head on the bolt you get at the store will be 2-3 sizes larger than the one from the factory. The grade 8.8 bolt was all of $.45, and the larger head should make it easier to remove.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The better question is "where is the 3rd bolt on the starter???" All of the information here will definately help you find it and get it out though. Just disconnect the battery first.

Pete

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Tobey said:
Or, go down to the local hardware store, and get a replacement bolt. The head on the bolt you get at the store will be 2-3 sizes larger than the one from the factory. The grade 8.8 bolt was all of $.45, and the larger head should make it easier to remove.
umm not having the bolt in there at all is easier.

622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks.. i will give it a look tomorrow. i don't like having to wait 5-15 seconds for my car to fire up after turning the ignition to the on position. hopefully the starter is the problem. from what i have read, it seems the most logical problem. thanks again for all the replies.

seth

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Tobey said:
Unto each his own. I'm a belts and suspenders guy when it comes to some things, and leaving the third bolt out would bother me every time I went to start it.

if you look at the EVTM, it shows that the starter only has 2 bolts....go figure.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Right up there alongside the headers:

Mine isn't as shiney as Scott's, well it didn't used to be.

:cool:

-mike

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Don't cry over these bolts guys, once you get the exhaust off you can get all 3 with an air ratchet,3/8 ball swivel and a 3/8-10mm swivel socket. You also need a 3 inch extension for the top one. If it takes more than 1 minute you aren't doing it right. ;P Leaving a bolt out is not the best way to do it and if you were going to leave a bolt out the middle one would be the best to leave out. These bolts are prone to loosening up anyway.
Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts
i dont know about these bolts loosening.. i just tried to get one out and i pretty much stripped the damn thing and it didn't budge.. what now???

·
Registered
141 Posts
drill it and bolt out it, hopefully then you can get it, I changed mine with normal sockets about 6" of extensions and it was easy, I hope only the bottom one stripped, try some penetrating lube on the others before you do anything else though to get them out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts