TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fix one problem, wind up with another :D Jumped in the car today to see a nice bright shiney new check engine light throwing a P0340 code at me...Camshaft position sensor....maybe I'll thow the stock computer tune back on to see if the code changes to something else...Car seems to be running real good...no problems...I read that this could be the sensor, the wire harness going to the sensor, or a bad EEC....What can the folks who have been through this particular issue tell me about it? I do sort of have the no crank problem slightly on occasion...not nearly as bad as it was with my old 95 bird -- turned out to be this exact problem on that car, if I recall correctly. I do get a slight slight hesitation when turning the key to fire it up every once in a while...maybe this is the culprit.

thanx y'all :D

·
Super Moderator
9,135 Posts
To answer the title question, on the driver's side of the timing cover under the power steering fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh so this is going to suck then? Suck as in pulling the timing cover and the power steering pump? Bummer...

·
Super Moderator
9,135 Posts
No, all you need to do is remove the three bolts holding the P/S reservoir on and there's a single bolt holding the sensor into the timing cover. I can't recall if you have to take the coil off as well, but either way it's a piece of cake.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
unbolt coil pack and lift it off the bracket. unbolt the p/s reservoir and lift out of way and you should see it. 1 bolt and 1 plug and out it goes. it has a magnet in it, and will be covered in oil

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, thanks...will P/S fluid want to leak out of hte reservour when I unbolt it? And why will the sensor be covered in oil?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Just the ps pump reservoir but I bet it's the wiring if it's a 96-97 but I'd start with the sensor first and go from there

Robert

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is the wiring, will I have to cut, splice, solder, heat shrink on some new? Or is this a deal where I can buy a new harness specifically for this sensor and just do a plug and play type thing?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the inside of an engine requires oil, FYI
hehe ;) yeah I realized that was a dumb question shortly after posting...

Anyway...

I changed out the cam sensor for a new one tonight...seems like the car starts a little faster and revvs a bit faster...maybe it's all in my imagination. Hope this takes care of the slight hesitation I have on occasion when trying to start the car.

·
5,650 Posts
hehe ;) yeah I realized that was a dumb question shortly after posting...

Anyway...

I changed out the cam sensor for a new one tonight...seems like the car starts a little faster and revvs a bit faster...maybe it's all in my imagination. Hope this takes care of the slight hesitation I have on occasion when trying to start the car.
It might start faster, but the revving would be your imagination. Once the car starts, the cam sensor is quite unimportant.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might start faster, but the revving would be your imagination. Once the car starts, the cam sensor is quite unimportant.
Yeah I figured that it probably was...as long as this fixes the occasional no crank hard start problem, and prevents it from getting to the point it was on my old 95 bird, I'm happy :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts