TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
The wire on the starter should be red/light blue near the starter. IIRC it makes a couple of changes along the way from the ignition switch. I think it is red/light blue from the switch to the mlps I dont remember the color on the mlps pigtail but it goes back to red/light blue somewhere after that.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
master486 said:
So that's why it won't start?? lol that little wire makes a big difference!
hahahah yea i was like, wait......theres 2 or 3 wires going to the starter? heheh

i guess tomorrow i will look for the wire. it is wht/pink going to the starter motor solenoid. i dont know where it is or where to look for it. should i just follow the wht/pink wire coming out of the mlps?

could i even wire it up to a switch to turn it manually? say a wire coming off the battery to a momentary switch exiting the switch to the post on the starter? hahah just an idea just in case i cant find the wire.

·
5,650 Posts
I say if you can't find the wire then hook up a wire from the MLPS white/pink wire and go straight to the starter. That's what it does anyway it just goes up and all around the car with the rest of the wires in the harness, lol! IIRC, on my 3.8 that wire was bundled with the positive battery cable, but I might be totally off. I know it's not part of the engine harness on either car but I don't know where it ties in to.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i could just splice the wht/pink wire off the mlps onto the starter solenoid post?

the only wire i have on me is 16 gauge, is that enough for the solenoid post?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well like i said, thats just in case i cant find the dam wire.

so for sure the car will fire tomorrow lol!!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
What do you mean ??
Your starter only needs to have 2 wires going to it. One wire is the + hot at all times, connected straight to the battery. The other is the Ignition wire ( red / light Blue ) .. which I think youre mistaking for a ground, because its usually Black from being dirty.
Both of those wires run together under the engine to the driver's side, near the fuse box / battery. The + wire goes directly to the battery, and the Red / Light blue goes to a connector around the fuse box area, which is where it may switch to the White / pink colored wire that goes to your MLPS.
So .. you need to check if you have power along the line while the key is in the start position.
If you dont have power there, check it at the MLPS, if no power there, you need to go further up the line to the Ignition switch itself.
And you still havent mentioned if your car has Anti Theft or not ..

If you have a bad connection somewhere along the line, you should find that, instead of trying to splice in a power wire and a switch to make it start.

- Dan

·
5,650 Posts
There are 3 wires in total.

1) Power connection from the battery
2) Ground to battery
3) Solenoid start wire to the ignition switch/MLPS

The power cable goes to the solenoid as well as the start wire. The ground connects to one of the starter bolts.

Mike I just checked and based on the pictures I saw, the wire you are looking for should be in the right along side the power cable to the starter, so I'd trace that cable and see if you can find where the solenoid wire came out along the way.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i believe it has anti-theft due to the alarm on the remote and trying to open the doors.

i dont remember seeing a 3rd cable comin off the power cable to the starter. like i said tho, i will check for it and if its not there then i will fab it up.

and yes it does have 3 wires going to the starter. hot in all the time, ground from battery, and the signal coming off the mlps to the solenoid on the starter. if it was just two posts or 2 wires then it would be constantly running all the time seeing how i got 12.6 volts off the + terminal on the starter and ground off the block,

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Mike , look in the Ford cd and look under starter removal !

I forgot the cd at home!

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Didnt you changed the shifter ? may be you didnt finish!

·
Registered
767 Posts
im just screwin around on the ford site and thought i'd just share this

"Engine Does Not Crank-
Low battery.
Open fuse.
Open ignition switch.
Shorts to ground.
Engine system.
Inoperative starter motor.
High resistance in battery cables.
Open or short to ground in S terminal or circuit.
"

the second step of that pinpoint test is to jump the starter so if you havent done that yet go do it,screw driver method works fine

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I think all you do is make the connection with a screw driver red wire to the black
wire .

Make sure the key is on the on postion .

PS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PARKING BRAKE ON !!!! With your luck who knows what can happen .

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Nice , they told you to that a few days ago !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts