TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everyone talks about ripping out the resonator, and I looked under my car and noticed two things in the exhaust. Is it the first one (where the two pipes come together) or the one right before the exhaust tip under the bumper?

·
Registered
798 Posts
it is the one right after the cats, where the two pipes go in, and one pipe exits.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PITA to remove? Sound any better? Because I heard another V6 Bird drive by the other day and I caught myself laughing at it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
No, i wouldn't remove it. It won't sound any better with it removed.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I removed mine because it was leaking fumes. I don't hear a difference until I get over 3K on the tach, then the car sounds kind of mean.

When I get caught up on the bills, the original cats are coming out and I'm putting high flow cats and 2 1/2" pipe all the way to the back.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The pipes Y at the third cat, so the short little muffler after that is the resonator. I would bother to remove it, 96-97s didn't have it stock (and otherwise have the same system) and it's still very quiet.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Green Bird,

I'm taken aback. When I bought my 97, it was so bone stock it still had the lollipop in the transmission, but it had a resonator.

Maybe I did get a parts bin special since it came with a 8.8 trac loc, too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think greenbird may be referring to the 96-97 4.6's, i think all of the 3.8's got a resonator in there somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts