TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Or should I just get JBA headers? I know they had a lot of problems but I've heard others say that they are fixed now. Before it's stated, I'm not going to get kooks because I've already had my exhaust system built and I don't want to change it again. ;)

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
If you want the best, mine came from www.braincoating.com

Contact tbirdbrain here at TCCoA........

He does the best porting and ceramic coating around ! Check out his gallery and you can see my red parts :) absolutely beautiful powder coating !

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i hear braincoating.com has an AWESOME set of ported manifolds

also available with ceramic coating.. i'll be getting a set comin up real soon

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
prestons manifolds are the ticket, i'm making 435 hp at the motor with his manifolds in the dead heat, i could'nt be happier. www.braincoating.com

Robert

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, I guess that answers my question! Nice to have a unanimous answer. What do a set of those run? I couldn't find pricing for ported manifolds anywhere on the site. Also, do they come with matching gaskets, or do the factory ones have enough extra space in them for the ports?

·
6,253 Posts
there is an email link for estimation purposes

depends on how good the cores are, how much prepping and cleaning is needed, plus whatever coating you want done

give him a shout via the contact us link on the page

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the grinder guy at braincoating.com did an awesome job on my exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Before it's stated, I'm not going to get kooks because I've already had my exhaust system built and I don't want to change it again. ;)
whats done to your exhaust where it cant be changed? you want the best or just half assed?

·
6,253 Posts
kooks aren't the best.. there are fabrication issues that some are finding, but what other choices do we have?

not saying these manifolds are better than kooks, cuz they aren't. but for the money, they are a damn good alternative

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not that it can't be changed. It's just a high quality job that I paid alot for already. Also I don't know how I'll be able to get the car to a exhaust shop without getting a ticket.

Thanks for the help guys, I've been talking to tbirdbrain via PMs. Hes very helpful.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,276 Posts
Q

Dont waist your money on ported manifolds. That is just a larger hole in an inefficent system. Save up your money and buy headers. There worth the money.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
It's not that it can't be changed. It's just a high quality job that I paid alot for already. Also I don't know how I'll be able to get the car to a exhaust shop without getting a ticket.

Thanks for the help guys, I've been talking to tbirdbrain via PMs. Hes very helpful.
if you get pulled over on the way to the exhaust shop, just tell the cop thats where you are going and you should be good. if he doesn't believe ya, tell him to follow you there.

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
Dont waist your money on ported manifolds. That is just a larger hole in an inefficent system. Save up your money and buy headers. There worth the money.
First off, this larger hole makes them more efficent, duh!:crazy: ..............second, there are only two headers made for our cars, JB, which offer noise and no performance and kooks which offer some mild increase in performance but at a very unaffordable price, and they just arent worth the money when you look at performance increase to dollars spent, plus the fact that some have encountered fitting issues.........

But I'm sure with your 3 months of being on the forums and 14 posts we shouldnt question all your experience.............

We'll just forget all about the principles of increasing air flow and lowering resistance............cause pure physics means nothing :)

For better performance and an awesome look, contact www.braincoating.com and get your manifolds ported by a professional!

·
1,276 Posts
Nice

Shadow, I have the kooks on my cougar. I can pull the engine out and put it in with the pipes on. There are no issues with them. Please speak facts. Are you a shill for brians coating. If you are, say so. The worst kind of sales man is one who knocks another product without any first hand knowledge.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Shadow, I have the kooks on my cougar. I can pull the engine out and put it in with the pipes on. There are no issues with them. Please speak facts. Are you a shill for brians coating. If you are, say so. The worst kind of sales man is one who knocks another product without any first hand knowledge.

It sounds like you know an awful lot about about Braincoatings work :rolleyes:

Its a cheaper alternative to the outragious cost of Kooks.

GO HOME NEWB!!!!!!! ;)

·
1,276 Posts
War, I did not knock brianscoatings. I do know a little about cars. I know less about a computer. Are any modifications done the right way on these cars cheap? Do it right the first time. Then you don't have to pay for it twice.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
War, I did not knock brianscoatings. I do know a little about cars. I know less about a computer. Are any modifications done the right way on these cars cheap? Do it right the first time. Then you don't have to pay for it twice.
One other difference is that you have a 5.0 which is a smaller motor dimensionally, we have 4.6's wich are much wider than yours therefore giving us many clearance issues.

·
1,276 Posts
P

My 95 cougar is a 4.6. I'm not knocking any business. But I speak from many years of trial and error. My 92 is a 466 scj. The 460 fits in the engine compartment better than the 4.6. Unless the manifolds from the 96/97 4.6 engines flow better than the 95/94 manifolds. I'm not here to argue. Just to offer help if wanted.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
inst that just cute. Ask robertP how slow his car is with ported manifolds......mid 11s arent that quick, or are they. See, knocking prestons work without actually seeing it, isnt a very good thing to do. Ive seen said coated and ported manifolds. But also, its not nice to knock a local guy, especially when he can easily outrun you;)

i dont know anything about having my manifolds ported.....oh wait, I do I watched someone port them. But what you havent touched on is something very fundamental.......We have three options.

1. Ported oem manifolds, they work they dont crack and can be worked with.
2. JBA manifolds, notorious for cracking, dont show much of a power gain, have smaller runners than the exhaust ports, and for the work, dont yield much power.
3. Lastly, the Kooks headers and for a mildly modd'd motor, they typically wont do a lot, they are pricey, they do look good, but you better have a new starter.

So, crunch the numbers and see where you are at.

BTW, quite a few of us on this website know a thing or three about these cars, we speak from experience and informing us about stuff wont win us over.

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
I do speak in fact, fact is I know people that have had fitting issues with kooks, just because you havent doesnt make it not so, fact is if you put it on the dyno, hp increase is not that much when you compare it dollar for dollar with ported manifolds...............

A shill, actually I havent had mine done yet, but just bought some manifolds to send to be ported................Fact is, I've had several friends that had theirs done and have been very pleased with the great looks and the performance..............Fact is, I've been speaking from facts..........

Another fact is, you seem to have shot something down without really knowing what your talking about...........

Just a side note, I'm not saying this is better than Kooks, because it isnt, but its a great alternative to people that cant afford Kooks :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts