·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I ordered mine way back when from shox.com

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have they held up well over the years? How is the ride quality/handling?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,618 Posts
Compared to what? I'd say they're about equal to sport shocks in terms of ride and firmness, compared to koni though they feel like mush. Mine feel the same now as a month after I installed them, not quite as stiff as the first month but no worse. So durability seems good.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My rear shocks feel like they are just now breaking in years later, when I first got them I thought they were overly harsh, more likely I'm just used it it now, the fronts however felt slightly firmer then sport shocks and haven't changed in feel at all.

Also get them while you can if you can, as I hear that these are going the way of oem sports, koni's, and bilstein. The fronts are becoming near impossible to find in stock or are "back ordered" I haven't heard anything about availability of the complete kits.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any issues with driveways and bottoming out and such with the supplied tokico springs? My konis are badly worn from the cut springs and need a rebuild, they will be up for grabs (cheap) once the tokico setup is in place

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
nope, no issues, except at the airport (speed bump mountains), town square parking complex (speed bump MT. Everest) and the sole remaining vegas west wind drive in movie theater (pot holes the size of small children). However even though all that I only have problems scraping either my super capacity transmission pan or rear torsional load brace. I no longer frequent any of those places with the bird though. The f150 is more then sufficient for those tasks, the 95 with stock suspension scraped all of those places also for what its worth.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Gordon (supergordo) bought his about 2 years before mine though and according to him his are shot.... :zdunno: I do very spirited driving daily and mine have held up very well. (knocking on wood)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like this is the best solution for my car then...getting the new lower door hinge installed in a couple weeks, then shocks/springs, then exhaust, then paint :D I noticed the 95 is gone from your sig, does that mean it's gone now? :(

·
Super Moderator
17,618 Posts
I think Tokico may have improved their quality in the last 7 or 8 years or so, or had a bad batch as I've heard about MANY premature failures of the shocks here and elsewhere, some wearing out after less than a year. I too haven't been kind to mine and they still feel good. I was expecting them to fail since I broke them in 5 years ago, but nope.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I think Tokico may have improved their quality in the last 7 or 8 years or so, or had a bad batch as I've heard about MANY premature failures of the shocks here and elsewhere, some wearing out after less than a year. I too haven't been kind to mine and they still feel good. I was expecting them to fail since I broke them in 5 years ago, but nope.
I completely agree with the bad batch or improved theory. Supergordo's car has probably less mileage on the suspension then mine, and probably nicer miles and his rocks and bows like a sail boat, mine on the other hand is firm.

·
Super Moderator
17,618 Posts
I completely agree with the bad batch or improved theory. Supergordo's car has probably less mileage on the suspension then mine, and probably nicer miles and his rocks and bows like a sail boat, mine on the other hand is firm.
IIRC Shadow and The Great Obucina had issues with Tokico as well, I put mine under death watch before I even installed them because of their experiences :tongue:

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Bought Tokico shocks & springs from shox.com. Still available through them but the price has gone up nearly $100. (Ouch!)

I panicked after I installed them and read about people having premature failures but 4 years and 45K miles later (of spirited driving) they are still good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Damn, I've ridden in his car and I thought the ride was firmer than mine. Time to ditch these KYBs... Does anyone here have any experience with Tokico blues and stock uncut Eibachs? I really miss the ride of my last bird that had Billstein's with the same springs.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Matt I have the Blues & Eibachs, The ride is great IMO, not to soft or harsh ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's the ride I'm looking for. I'll have to keep an eye out for a deal on some blues now.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i plan on runnin blues myself,, i still have the stock struts and shocks on.. but am runnin suspension techniques springs..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts