TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my vehicle up on a rack today and am looking at the upper ball joints and they are toasted. That is probably what is causing my weird noise when hitting a bump. Where can I buy these and how much should I expect to spend?

I

·
0 Posts
Autozone or similar carries them. Last time I looked a UCA ran about $55-$60 on their site.

·
8,239 Posts
yep the discount is 5 percent I think. I have the code in my email, but can't find it right now.

You want the entire control arm, not the joint itself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the upper ball joints going to cause what sound like a a muffler hitting the underside of the car? I know that is not the case but it sounds like that.

I

·
0 Posts
Rich93 said:
Are the upper ball joints going to cause what sound like a a muffler hitting the underside of the car? I know that is not the case but it sounds like that.
Yep. You said you looked at your control arm when the car was up on the rack, right? If the rubber housing on the ball joint was shredded or cracked, then the lube the rubber was housing has leaked out and the pop noise you hear when you take sharp turns or come out of a steep driveway is the result.

Do a search and you will be able to find many a thread about how to change the arm yourself. If you are changing only the UCA, then you will not need to get a re-alignment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes just like that on both sides.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow! :eek: I thought mine was bad... Well, it is, but the rubber seal is still there, just cracked like crazy... I've been driving it like this for a month or so - I gotta' get it replaced fast... RockAuto has them for $59.00 I think... Something like that. Upper ball joint and control arm assembly. #MCS-10764 is the part number for the passenger side, I think... At the moment, the passenger side is the only bad one on mine. Stupid clunking is getting annoying, every crack in the road I hit... Clu-clunk.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
dude get that changed asap, man thats worse than mine was, lol, another telltale sign of ball joint problems is a creaking sound heard from the front suspension when bouncing the front end, or when you turn the steering wheel, later'z.......:D

·
Big-D
1,275 Posts
Help, Also...

Mine makes the same clunking noise over bumps, etc.... however I also have what feels like the right front trying to steer on it's own.... only noticable while turning in curves.... Kinda like that stupid wobbly wheeled shopping cart... only its more of a inconsistant pull, so it takes a little extra effort to go through a curve and remain relatively smooth through it. :2huh:

I originally thought the ball joints were the problem here but they only affect up and down motion, right?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
3atm3, well 50 bucks is a lot cheaper than tearing up your your car when your front suspension fails, one three letter word job, not to sound harsh but getting one of those will make alot of your problems with money go away!

dave, mine did the clunky noise over bumps and uneven road until i changed the swaybar endlinks, the pulling to one side when cornering usually indicates that you have either bad bushings alowing the wheel to move back and forth, or your tierod endlinks are bad, mine are getting that way too, you can usually tell when the tire tread has a feathered appearence, also when going around turns you can feel that bumpy sensation in the steering, like when your brake rotors are warped and you step on the brake, that type feeling, the ball joints affect up and down movement and the steering, later'z........:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
How would that make my front suspension fail? I'm getting a job Tuesday anyways so I have the following lined up...

1) Buy new rim (50$)
2) Fix front tension strut [bend it back at body shop] (150$)
3) Alignment and Balancing (50-75$)
4) Upper Ball Joints (60$?)
5) New Battery (25$?)

So, what do you think, are my estimates accurate?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
the battery will set you back a little more than 25 bux, and if you let the ball joint or any part of the front suspension for that matter, fail, you run the risk of at the very least, damaging more of the suspension, damaging the car when the wheel falls out, more probable, or having an accident where you could be injured, the list goes on and on, i had a ball joint fail before and it bent my fender, lol. seriously though, get it fixed, your estimates are ok, except for the battery, and the ball joints are 60-75 dollar's a piece.......later'z......:D

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts