TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im mounted switches inside the car and i cant seem to remember were to drill through the firewall to get some wires through the engine bay. can i drill maybe 3-6 inches around the throtte cable? i want to get some wires through into the dash to mount a foglight switch. Anyone have a pic of where to drill? or could i just simply drill next to but not too close to the throttle cabe going into the firewall?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I haven't run any wires up through there on my 92 yet, but I have run wires through the firewall of many cars over the last 35+ years, and I always first opened HOOD, then I took note of openings that may have a large body plug with wires running through the center and that was usually where I tried first. I would get on my back, head in the drivers floor, small flashlight in hand and search the backside as well.

Somethings are easy to locate on both sides, steering column, throttle, brake, and that big body plug. Drilling a hole is a last resort, but if you must ... use the above mentioned items to help locate a best spot, make the hole large enough to insert a piece of 1/4" ID tubing (like gas line) and insert a piece about 2" long, and run the wires through it and then wrap the ends with electrical tape or silicone them shut.... or use grommets.

Again, if just one or two wires, try to run beside existing wiring through a body plug. Once located and both sides are clear of sensative items, a small hole can sometimes be made with a pick, just takes a small one to allow a couple of wires through.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
There is a big rubber body plug on the passenger side for the firewall behind the accumulator. That's where I ran the power wire for my amps

·
Registered
401 Posts
i drilled mine on the drivers side

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
SR-71Blackbird said:
i drilled mine on the drivers side
Ummm the black and red wires running through the firewall look like a short at best and a fire at worse just waiting to happen. It doesn't look like there is any gromment or anything (like a slit piece of rubber hose) to prevent the metal chaffing right through the wire insulation? :confused:

Or is it inside the plastic wire loom wee it goes throught the wall? You might want to tuck it in for a few more inches then put a zip tie on it to keep it inside the loom if thats the case...

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i drilled under the steering shaft boot and ZIPTIED them verty close and out of the way so they dont hit the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
yeah.. i have foglights, led's and power run through the body plug under teh accumulator.. its not too hard to get to, and to run wires around...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Southpaw said:
Ummm the black and red wires running through the firewall look like a short at best and a fire at worse just waiting to happen. It doesn't look like there is any gromment or anything (like a slit piece of rubber hose) to prevent the metal chaffing right through the wire insulation? :confused:

Or is it inside the plastic wire loom wee it goes throught the wall? You might want to tuck it in for a few more inches then put a zip tie on it to keep it inside the loom if thats the case...
ya, the wires will run thru the loom once i take the power wire for my amp out (don't need that anymore), the car isn't running right now ne ways, so no harm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts