TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just took my 97 Ford Thunderbird to a Ford Dealership to diagnose why the beeping noise that tells you when your key is still in the ignition when you open the door would come on anyway even without the key in. Example being I would open my door and it would make the beeping noise when my key wasn't even in it. They told me the clock spring in my steering wheel needs to be replaced but are unable to get the part due to it being obsolete. I've been trying to see if I can find a new one online somewhere but so far I have not had any luck. Would anyone here happen to know a place I could go to get a new one or an aftermarket one? Or am I stuck having to buy a used one and hope I get lucky?

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
That's not really true, what they said. The contact is a single wire, under the keyswitch, under the plastic cover of the steering wheel.
I messed the one up in Lazarus several years ago doing the mlps repair process.
If you get that wire back where it goes, it will be fine.
It was not the clockspring, in my case.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,422 Posts
The clockspring isn’t bad but the part in question does come as part of a new clockspring assembly, in that it is a wire and connector literally just run in a sheath next to the actual clockspring wires. Indeed if you want it new the only way to get it is with a whole clockspring.

I however recommend going to a junkyard, finding a late 90s Ford (not just Tbird, Mustang, Taurus, etc. They all use the same column) with a key set, popping the lock cylinder out and grabbing the chime connector and a length of the wire, and splicing it to your existing one.

Alternately, you could buy new aftermarket, the clockspring is the same as 94-98 Mustangs

Alternately alternately just leave the annoying thing disconnected 😆

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,812 Posts
Just take out the ignition lock cylinder and you'll probably see what's going on. In my case I found that the plastic clip that holds the contact in place had broken and the contact was shorting out to the casting of the column. It's supposed to ground only when the "tab" in the lock cylinder is pushed out by the key, hence the "forever beeping".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I went ahead and just bought the new aftermarket one because I've never worked on a car in my life so trying to disassemble anything, splicing wires, and going junkyard hunting would be too much of a hassle for me right now. The new one should be here next week so we'll see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
BTW, if you blow the steering wheel bag, you need a new aluminum tray that the airbag sits in. It gets severely bent, and the Cruise controls break.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts