TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i wonderin where i can find performance parts and suspension like the brace most of u have.. been all over the internet all every1 keeps giving me is mustang parts..i have a 94 t-bird lx 4.6 auto . can some one help me out this is really gettin on my nerves..THNKz

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Recommended suspension components:

In this order:

0) 16" or larger wheels with H-rated or better tires, preferrably wider than 225-series. I am using a set of Federal Formoza FD-1 225/60VR16 performance tires. They are surprisingly sticky and compliment my sleeper 'stock' look. ($275 installed at Super Autobacs)

1) LOWER ENGINE CRADLE BRACES. Two mounting tabs need to be welded onto the frame, but the improvement in handling is HUGE.

2) Front/Rear shock tower braces. (price varies, front shock tower braces are tough to find)

3) Thunderbird SC fold-down rear seats and L-braces or just the L-braces. ($60-ish shipped usually, they replace the flimsy so-called V-brace behind the rear seats)

4) Rear torsional load brace (around $40 shipped IIRC, check the classifieds section, the guy only takes money orders but he is a good dude)

5) Thunderbird SC/Sport Springs (or Vogtland or H&R lowering springs for a more pronounced drop) and sport shocks/struts (cost varies, try to get complete assemblies).
WARNING: Thunderbird Springs (especially the front) are exceptionally strong and can and WILL break most spring compressors. WARN any shop to use "the heavy duty stuff" if they're doing your springs for you.
BE VERY CAREFUL when working with the springs.

For better handling but a far harsher ride, use the Bilstein rear shocks used on 2003-2004 Mustang Cobras. They can be had for around $100 shipped with lower miles or around $170 new from ford. Be sure to use the Ford Parts Counter on the website as we get a pretty substantial discount.

6) Modify a set of PBR brake calipers (2000 Mustang V6 model) [they do bolt up but will rub if you do not grind them down in the right places-- see the PBR brake writeup)
Or, if you don't want to modify anything, 11.25 sport rotors (Mark VIII rotors) Sport brake calipers (also found on Mark VIII's) for front brakes.

6.5) Install Rear disc brakes if not already equipped with them.

7) Addco rear sway bar or Thunderbird SC rear sway bar. These will reduce understeer and make the car more tailhappy... particularly the addco swaybar.

Check the classifieds here and on http://www.sccoa.com

For engine components, source 4.6 power parts from http://www.corral.net 's classified section, too.

Also, read the tech articles on the main page of this site (TCCoA).

I have personally made all of the above modifications to either my own car or my dad's car, and I can attest that not only is the overall improvement in handling IMMENSE, but I also enjoy improved ride quality. I now can comfortably outhandle all the brand-new BMWs near me, but the handling is approaching 350Z level handling. I would not be surprised if I put wider, stickier tires on and handled as good as if not better than a 350Z, and the improvement in braking from 2-piston PBR brake calipers has drastically improved my stopping distance. Your suspension will likely also need new upper and lower ball joints or whatever they're called.
I really need to install a set as they are supposed to reduce slop in the suspension, as does replacing the various suspension bushings the car is outfitted with. You can sometimes find complete sets on eBay.

All told, with all of the above modifications to my car, I would say I am around $1200 down for it, including install and tires.

Last, as a friendly reminder be sure to SEARCH the forum before posting
People will beat you over the head for asking something that's been asked by 20 different people in 20 different threads.

Welcome to the board!

Ghost

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
slavage yards are a good place to hit i have an "all ford" slavage yard they had a complete 97 lx 4.6 that someone sold to them because it wasnt feul efficient needless to say i grab all parts i need off that :)

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
My best recommendation for finding parts is to watch the parts for sale section here on TCCOA. I almost buy all my stuff here from other members. I Think there is a guy making the engine braces. I'm sure someone makes the rear K member brace and the rear shock tower brace. You simply have to watch whats for sale, or look through some of the older for sale posts.
At this point most of the cool things we all look for to modify our cars are produced or sold by other members. Those of us who really like the 89-97 T-bird/cougars are a somewhat small group. Thats why you find so much Mustang stuff out there, not so many T-bird Parts :(. Millions of Mustangs and millons of Mustang people, so there are millions of Mustang parts..

So read all the technical articles you can stand. The Links are on the main TCCOA page. Read as many threads as you can and you'll find some great info. As well it'll keep you from wasting your time and money on mods and things that don't work.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
6) Modify a set of PBR brake calipers (2000 Mustang V6 model) [they do bolt up but will rub if you do not grind them down in the right places-- see the PBR brake writeup)...
Actually, PBR's are stock for 99-04 Mustang GT as well as V6.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Racecougar makes some great braces at reasonable prices check out his thread at the top for sale section.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As far as engine performance goes, the most bang for the buck is the PI cam swap and PI intake swap.. Don't fall for those TB spacers and junk.. all they're good for is a mount for your NOS nozzle :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dcrews yea im a tech for firestone but iv never had a 4.6 b4 and i no that **** dont work but i was thinking about the pi sg1 head pi sg1 cams and iv been trying to find the pi intake but cant seem to locat one does pi have a web site bc i cant seem to find it ... thankz for all the help guys

·
Registered
917 Posts
PI= Performance Improved. Its factory Ford stuff. Found on 99-04 Mustang GT's and some other models

·
Registered
917 Posts
There werent any 02 Cobra's in the US... they all went to Australia

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Unfortunately those of us who actually like these cars are low numbers. We aren't driving mustangs and nobody wants to build parts for anything else. Most of the performance parts for our car are made by the members here. Other stuff is modifications of other parts to work on our cars.
Bill of Supercoupe Performance has allot of specialty parts for our cars made as well. In fact if you want good headers he is the only man to see.
Alan

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Here's what you want for the PI intake.

Go to corral.net ; go to the classifieds.

Find a 2000+ PI intake, with the aluminum crossover. I bought mine for $100 shipped.

I then paid another $25 to have the 96/97 NPI coolant crossover tube in aluminum shipped to me (used).

Then get PI intake gaskets for a 2002 Mustang GT (intake to head gasket), some RTV and that ought to do it.

That's what I've got in my garage lined up for install, but I've got more.

-Ghost

1 - 20 of 35 Posts