TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting this thread in an effort to help current and future MN12 enthusiasts find Rust-Free cars..

Basically, I've put together a map of the United States that illustrates what parts of the country to avoid when looking for a rust-free MN12..

Some people really love the MN12, but are having trouble finding a rust-free one..
So let's help future and current MN12 enthusiasts find these rust-free cars, and the best parts of the country to look..

Rust Free MN12 Map.JPG

It's come to my attention that almost every state in the U.S. puts some sort of salt or brine solution on the road in the Winter..
Not every part of the country does this though..

This practice of using salt in any form on the roads in Winter is a major contributor to rust found on our cars..
(Sodium Chloride) (Calcium Chloride) (Magnesium Chloride)

This isn't a debate if road salt causes your car to rust..

Many MN12 owners out there drive their car year round..
Even car washes are just not going to prevent the rust that will inevitably take over a car that is driven daily on salted Winter roads..

Let's get some feedback from members around the country that drive their MN12 year round, and the effects road salt has had on their MN12..

As well as the accuracy of the "Rust Map"

What parts of the country do you guys live in, where your MN12 has NOT suffered the ill-effects of rust??

I don't mean surface rust either, I'm talking about the kind of rust that has eaten a hole through part of your car.. :eek:

Let's keep this MN12 themed..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
How is Florida is above California? I've personally been to Colorado junkyards and looked at MN12s that were cleaner than the couple Florida MN12s I've looked closely at.

Salty wet air can be as bad as northern winter road salt.
Agreed! Especially since there are lots of people in FL that have either relocated there from the northeast, or bounce back and forth, so just because a 20+ year old car is in FL now doesn't make it particularly likely that it spent its entire life there.

I would make SC, GA, and FL orange, at least along the coast. And if we are only talking about rust, and disregarding faded paint comes with some of the rust-free areas, then pretty much all of CA, NV, AZ, NM, and TX should all be dark green.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
If a car is from Virginia it's always a big selling point here, so I think of them as pretty good area to get a used car. But to be honest, PA cars here are way better than anything from NY.

You could have the northeast corner of the country from NY-MI an over; in their own category because that's about the worst part of the country. We have the worst salted roads due to lake snow and long winters.

In Indiana from Indy down isn't too bad either. They use little to no salt from what I recall.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not sure I'd paint that much TX coastline dark green. Let's not forget all the sunbunnies who frequent the beaches.. and don't necessarily wash their cars soon after their visits. There are some public beaches down here where it's still allowed to park right at the water.

Only thing I can say for sure is that when I sell or part out my Bird, somebody is going to get a lot of rust-free MN12. :grin2:

·
Registered
584 Posts
My bird will never see a wet winter road. No rust...a Seattle car believe it or not... Rust free! Plan to keep it that way!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Washington is not bad for rust since most of the Tbirds were off the roads before they did a statewide switch to Sodium Chloride from Magnesium Chloride. Soon we'll hear every culvert needs to be replaced.

Junkyards are not kind to the cars though. Everything cooks east of the cascades and lots of rain on the west side is not good for unsealed cars. Ones sitting in driveways for the last decade are probably best for the rust. Of course, minty and garaged forever is best.

Bare metal rusts everywhere in the state.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
My 89 SC has spent it's entire life in Eastern WA. Only rust of note is surface on the underside hood lip and bottom of the doors. That is getting fixed.

The 95 SC was Boise ID. Only rust is surface on the front seat rails. Both cars appear to have been parked with the sun rising on passenger side. Roof/trunk paint is toast.

Big thing to check in the PNW is pine needle and road dirt buildup in lower door cowls/behind fender panels and under GFX if so optioned. I got lucky. Bunch of crap but no harm done.

Creighton

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yeah, when I got her, there was some tree & brush debris in areas... All cleaned up now. Car did have water spots or some spots on the body and glass which would not come out with any product I had.... Polishing compound got the paint, cerium oxide powder got the glass....

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input fellas.. ;)

Now to address some of the comments made on the "Rust Map"

The "Dark Green" areas on the map, are areas that don't treat the roads with salt of any form in the Winter..

The "Neon Green" areas on the map, do have areas in the state that treat the roads with salt of some sort in the Winter..

That's not to say, someone couldn't move from a Northern state to a "Green" state and bring their rusty car with them..

The map is based on cars that have stayed in their state for most of their life..

I'm also aware of the salty wet air near the sea that the map does not account for..
All of the states in "Green" that border the coast have that potential flaw..

It's impossible to account for every scenario, so some generalization is inevitable..

Unless a member from South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida chimes in says that area is full of rusty MN12, and shows some evidence of this..
Then those areas will stay "Green"

The "Dark Red" part of the map covers the "Salt Belt" region of the country..

Colorado could go either "Red" or "Green"..
I've read certain parts of the state are really bad about rusting cars out, due to them treating the roads with salt of some sort in the Winter..
Again, with sufficient evidence from a member living in the state..We could possibly change that one to "Green"

You guys get what I'm saying though..If the color of a state is in question, let's let a member from that state speak up..
Then I can adjust the map accordingly..

Thanks for speaking up Gordon, Washington state could have gone either "Red" or "Green"..
Since you confirmed that parts of the state are laying down salt of some sort in the Winter..We'll just keep that state "Red"

Thanks to everyone else as well, your feedback is invaluable!

Let's keep this going..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,494 Posts
So let me get this straight, you will not revise the inaccurate map unless you get physical evidence from 48 residents for each state, despite the fact that you created this map on a whim based on your own personal assumptions? Everybody who has chimed in so far has provided more evidence than you have "read" so far ;)

I find it particularly funny you have dark green over the one teeny tiny part of California that happens to contain the SALTon Sea lol

Attachments

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,270 Posts
Florida, no road salt rust.

Any car with huge amounts of rust here was imported from road salt states.

Example, my 71 Mach 1, from New Jersey and my Granada, from New York.

My Pinto has some rust on the left rear fender, due to being a crappy design.

My 72 Mustang Grande had some minor rust under the vinyl half top.

Of the 24 automobiles I have owned in my life, none of the FL bred ones had the rust that
this thread is referring to.

Also my Pinto was parked 10' from the Intercoastal Waterway, nine hours a day, on Hollywood beach for
the first four years of my job with the city.
Not counting going to Fort Lauderdale Beach too during the 70's and 80's.

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Thanks for all the input fellas.. ;)

Now to address some of the comments made on the "Rust Map"

The "Dark Green" areas on the map, are areas that don't treat the roads with salt of any form in the Winter..

The "Neon Green" areas on the map, do have areas in the state that treat the roads with salt of some sort in the Winter..

That's not to say, someone couldn't move from a Northern state to a "Green" state and bring their rusty car with them..

The map is based on cars that have stayed in their state for most of their life..

I'm also aware of the salty wet air near the sea that the map does not account for..

It's impossible to account for every scenario, so some generalization is inevitable..
True. It is impossible so why try? Basically what you've done is outline the sun-belt as a rust-free zone.

VS.

Unless a member from South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida chimes in says that area is full of rusty MN12, and shows some evidence of this..
Then those areas will stay "Green"
Since you insist, based on LIVING in North Carolina and being married to a Tennessean we can tell you that overall those states need to be on the better side of the line. You want "evidence" just look at my car, or any of the Carolina Crew cars: RobertP, AndyR, Shadow, Shadow Dragon, BostonBull, etc.

The "Dark Red" part of the map covers the "Salt Belt" region of the country..

Colorado could go either "Red" or "Green"..
I've read certain parts of the state are really bad about rusting cars out, due to them treating the roads with salt of some sort in the Winter..
Again, with sufficient evidence from a member living in the state..We could possibly change that one to "Green"

You guys get what I'm saying though..If the color of a state is in question, let's let a member from that state speak up..
Then I can adjust the map accordingly..

Thanks for speaking up Gordon, Washington state could have gone either "Red" or "Green"..
Since you confirmed that parts of the state are laying down salt of some sort in the Winter..We'll just keep that state "Red"

Thanks to everyone else as well, your feedback is invaluable!

Let's keep this going..

Rayo..
Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. There are a lot of "rust maps" out there. After a quick search I found this one USAtoAUS | Locating American Cars for import that I don't even agree with based, as you said, on too many variables.

Here are some other fun maps that I found along with a "rust belt" map. LITR pages Craig White UHCL images

I also found the third map at the link above with "Bible, Jello, the "Unchurched" and of course Mexamerica, pretty entertaining. The only one I didn't understand and had to look up was Jello-belt. :tongue: The rest are self explanatory.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts

As for the Neon green in California, you can pretty much eliminate that from everything West of the Sierra Nevada mountains. They dont salt the roads - even in the Tahoe region, salt is not used. I cannot speak for anything north of that, but most of this region would be Dark green in my opinion with the exception of a few areas I will expand on in the next quote ...

Being close to the ocean doesn't cause rust. I am really close to the ocean and no rust. Houses get more damage on the beach than cars
The ocean doesnt necessarily cause rust, its the moisture in the air that gets retained. Its mostly from the Fog that rolls inland .. a little south of where I live, the fog rolls inland to Salinas and the cars that come out of that area are rust buckets even though its not that close to the ocean. At the power plant in Moss Landing, the pipes that run to the ocean are covered in rust. The ones that got insulated are much worse, since the moisture gets trapped inside the insulation. So like you said, its not the ocean itself, but the moisture that gets retained / suspended in the air for longer periods of time is much worse.

What is this rust stuff you people talk about? :)
-g
Youve seen my stockpile of junk in the backyard, been sitting around for too many years but nothing that wouldnt come off with a little elbow grease.

On the subject of "Rust Free" vehicles .. are there people actually looking for these cars anymore ?? I have three of them I cant get rid of. LOL

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trunk Monkey said:
In an effort to help future and current MN12 enthusiasts..I've taken it upon myself to make a thread of this here on TCCoA..

So when an MN12 enthusiasts starts looking for a rust-free car..They can come to a site dedicated to MN12 to find that information..

You can choose to be reactive or proactive..I've chosen the latter, as I've demonstrated so many times here..

It would be admirable of you to support these kinds of threads, rather than belittling them..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,494 Posts
I think this topic has relevance, but the problem I find with it is that the rust belt is generic and well known geographically as Ron points out, there's nothing unique or special about rust regions as it relates to the MN12 platform, and the map as presented is clearly flawed.

I'm not suggesting a Florida coast car will be as bad as a daily driven beater from Chicago, but they won't be like a southern CA car, all things being equal. Even if the extent of it amounts to inconsequential surface rust of suspension components and oxidized fasteners. Cars from here that only get driven spring through fall get this sort of corrosion regardless, they pretty much look the same as Florida cars in fact.

Plus road salt doesn't create terminal rust overnight. A state(or part of a state) may get a bout of snow and they use salt to melt it, and then a week later the snow melted and basically over for a long period, maybe for the season. That's no more exposure than a car with sea air gets, and I'd say quite a few of those red western/northwestern states, and a few dark red eastern states apply(the worst of Virginia will never equal the worst of us) . It's very a different scenario than here or the northeast where it is being used during some winters on a near daily basis with roads that are perpetually wet for months and months on end.

Plus it's a matter of your standard of rust free and your opinion of how much rust is too much. My car has a few spots despite being well taken care of but none of it is extensive or critical. Of course I'd prefer totally "rust free", but if I had the opportunity to straight up swap bodies with a totally spotless southwestern car that needs a full paint job from UV damage, I'm sticking with my rust bucket. Writing off every last car in the deep red states is potentially the opposite of admirable because there are probably decent examples closer to you if you know what to watch out for, and properly fixing them may actually be more economical if the extent of it is minor.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts