TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probaly a nooob question. I'm about to get an explorer motor to swap into my 97 3.8 t-tird. So I need a trans to match up with the motor. What all vehicles came with a 4r70w that I can get easly from a junk yard That would work for what i'm doing. Thanks

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
It depends on what you want and if you don't mind doing some other work to get it done.

For a direct bolt in, not much choice. 93-97 Mark VIII and 94-97 MN12.

You can use a 98 MK VIII if you want to repin the car or change the internal electronics in the transmission to make it work in your car.

If you are going to go that far then you might as well jump up to a much newer transmission like from a Crown Vic up until 2002. You will have to do the same as the 98 MK on the electrical and you will have to swap out the manul lever on the side of the transmission.

Just be sure that you get a transmission with the same length output shaft as you have and that it has teeth on it to drive the speedometer gear.

Darrin

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I thought the output shafts were the same length and the extension housing was the difference between the Crown vics and other vehicles ?

Also, what about using a 5.4 transmission over a 4.6 .. Jerry's article recommends using one of these instead and swapping in the 99+ valve body.

- Dan

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Output shaft is also longer. You can put a longer housing on a shorter shaft and use the shorter driveshaft on a Crown Vic, but you can't put a shorter housing on a tranny with the longer shaft and use it with a driveshaft setup for the shorter housing.

Make sure it isn't a CVPI or a Towncar, go for one out of a Grand Marquis :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Output shaft is also longer. You can put a longer housing on a shorter shaft and use the shorter driveshaft on a Crown Vic, but you can't put a shorter housing on a tranny with the longer shaft and use it with a driveshaft setup for the shorter housing.

Make sure it isn't a CVPI or a Towncar, go for one out of a Grand Marquis :)
Yup.

Darrin

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see that this is going to be Fun :D . So if I get the Grand Marquis trans I wouldn't have to do anything special to get it to work?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I can see that this is going to be Fun :D . So if I get the Grand Marquis trans I wouldn't have to do anything special to get it to work?
The same thing has to be done to the Grand Marquis(GM) transmission a the one for the Crown Vic (CV). The GM and CV are really the same car only there is no police version of the GM so there isn't a long tailshaft problem. I missed that very good point.

Darrin

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO would I be better off just Ordering a Built trans ? I was looking at Len Tech Trans. Would that be a better idea?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
SO would I be better off just Ordering a Built trans ? I was looking at Len Tech Trans. Would that be a better idea?
Man am I the wrong guy to ask that question.

You do realize that this is what I do for a living and that I offer transmissions, right?

LOL

Darrin

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL didn't know lol Sorry :D So how much would a Built Trans run me from you :D With no missing parts now that I asked about anouther company :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ment to tell ya what I want. I'm Looking one that will hold at least 700 hp, want it auto. I have a stange 2 shift kit in my car now I like the way it shifts now.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
stage 2 what?

and last i checked.. explorer motors weren't making 700hp

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
repining the connector isnt a big deal. Alan did mine in under 5mins. 01 Gt trans got it for 350 bucks.. just keep looking or go all out and get one from darrin..

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What all info you need? I plan on going with a 4.6 SOHC running it pretty much stock for about a year . Then i'm going to go with a 8.5 comprestion and 9-14 pounds of boost. Also putting in a 8.8 with 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why can't you use a 2wd explorer transmission--

I am here to tell you guys the explorer PCM is the shiznit--I am running 42lb injectors, and an x cam with the stock tune right now--

There might be a way to use the whole electronics, harness and all--

just a thought--

Purchasing a rolled v8 explorer might be the thing to do--
I know where there is a complete rolling chassis for 800, engine-trans and all--

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was wondering the same thing if a trans from a explorer would work in a tbird.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well the problem there is that the 4.6l Explorer didn't come with the 4R series transmission. The 4.6l version had a 5R series transmission. They did have a 4R behind the older 5.0l, but that won't work. It has a differnet bellhousing.

Darrin

·
Registered
81 Posts
ooops--
I'm in the 5 liter gutter--sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts