TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy's I want to get a more aggresive camshaft but I'm not sure where to get it and what size and all that good stuff. Livernois motorsports want's $600 for the 4.6L mustang bullit camshaft's. I think that's a little high but i've never bought camshaft's before. Is there any other place to get them that would help me decide which one's would be best for what I'm doing?

I have PI heads that I just got back yesterday from Motorsports. There ported 3 degree valve job and better valve springs. I am also putting the PI intake manifold on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
97qwikcat said:
Ok guy's I want to get a more aggresive camshaft but I'm not sure where to get it and what size and all that good stuff. Livernois motorsports want's $600 for the 4.6L mustang bullit camshaft's. I think that's a little high but i've never bought camshaft's before. Is there any other place to get them that would help me decide which one's would be best for what I'm doing?

I have PI heads that I just got back yesterday from Motorsports. There ported 3 degree valve job and better valve springs. I am also putting the PI intake manifold on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Billet not bullitt. Expect to pay around 550-600 for a set of cams. I have/had Comp 262AH's in my car till I had a catastrophic valvetrain failure. VT cams seem to have too much lift and the power band seems to be shifted somewhat high to be useful in our cars.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Comp 262's and 268's seem to work well with our cars based on everyone's experience. Take a look on Corral.net classified section. Sometimes there's someone selling cams. That's where I got mine.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a quick search but I think I did it too quick and didnt see much. So now it's either the cams at motorsports or the comp 262's/ 268's. I will go on the comp website and look at price's. I just bought a truck so I'm thinking the cheapest one's are going to have to work. Thank's for the help guy's!!

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
cams

I would get a set of crower 62905-2 if you like torque and 62800-2 for more top end power. Be forwarnded some people have have problems with the comp cams 268 and 270 contacting the valves because of variences in the cam gears.

I have the 62800-2 cams and I make 14 inches of vacuum at idle. I would recomend the 62905-2 which should give you some more torque and hp without killing your vacuum like the 62800-2. I would purchace them from fox lake racing productus I got mine for 550.00 plus shiping.

BTW I would not get the 62905-2 cams if you have stock gears.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
What leads you to the conclusion you draw on VT cams?

the dyno charts i have seen of the VT 2's. They lost power on the bottom end.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
VTengines sells crower cams for cheap.

Go with the 262AHs. Given that your ont the stock block, your not going to rev high enough to take advantage of a more aggressive cam. Just make sure your order them without the advance.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, i have been running the comp 268 cams for over a year, and they are a decent cam with a little lope , and not a real problenm , unless you get carried away with a blower and really big exhaust, then you get a bit of blow thru (I lost 20 hp with 3" true duals :D )... If theres a blower and big exhaust in your future , the stock PI cams are a good choice.....

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
GreenBird said:
VTengines sells crower cams for cheap.

Go with the 262AHs. Given that your ont the stock block, your not going to rev high enough to take advantage of a more aggressive cam. Just make sure your order them without the advance.
mine were an off the shelf grind with the advance in...I just had lonnie send me a tune and its fine.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I suggested not having the advance because of power reasons, not PTV reasons. Comp grinds a 5 degree advance into the cam, this shifts the powerband slightly lower.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
GreenBird said:
I suggested not having the advance because of power reasons, not PTV reasons. Comp grinds a 5 degree advance into the cam, this shifts the powerband slightly lower.

yes, i know........I am in possession of a pair of 262AH's....with the advance ground in. Which, if you bothered to read my post to your response would have noted that I mentioned a tune not PTV.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
I guess but what little you "may" lose on the bottom you will gain that much and more on top. Too each their own.
Negative.
The stupid tight LSA that VT uses to get a bigger "gain" (which sells to the idiots that look at peak numbers only) makes the power fall off almost instantly after the power peak.
Loss of tq below 3500,and a loss of top-end above 6000.
JL

·
3,232 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
I stand corrected. But I think the term "idiots" should not have been used. I have them and I do like them. I don't think I'm an idiot because I got a good deal. Not flaming just telling it like it is.
I feel the term "idiot" was used properly.
If you're only looking at a peak number,and not the power made over the entire range,then you're an idiot.
JL

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
LMAO!!! Thats 'our' Johnny....He never tells ya how he really feels. :D

·
3,232 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
No actually I wasn't but then I don't give a darn about peak numbers as I don't race. Thus my questioning your choce of words as you don't have any idea what I do or why I may have chose them.

You appear to know alot but your ignorance was displayed in that blanket statment. To each their own.
Apparently,you took offense to the term idiot.
Looks to me like you can't read the post above and comprehend the English language.
which sells to the idiots that look at peak numbers only
Because you replied:
I don't give a darn about peak numbers
Now,if you don't care about the peak numbers,then WTF are you worried about the term idiot? Maybe the shoe fits even though you claim it doesn't?
JL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts