TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story to short, the "bad guys" cleaned out the trunk on my '94 'Boid LX V8, I couldn't find a precise match with dealers or junkyards, got a general purpose scissor jack from Harbor Freight, and I don't know exactly how and where to mount it on the front or back in case of a flat, or, just to jack it up and check something (i.e. front brake pads).

Pics of HF scissor jack:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8897/scissorjack002.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6802/scissorjack003.jpg

Can anyone tell? Is this jack gonna work OK? If so, where to mount it on the unibody undercarriage??

Thx,
P

·
Registered
67 Posts
that jack is just for changing tires and shouldn't even be used for that if you plan on doing anything else get a proper jack and just put it where the stock one goes under the spare in the trunk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy to say, but ...

I am retired and in poor health. Can no longer do any serious work to speak of on the car.

What is a "proper jack" and where can I find one? The original was a wierd looking thing, but, having used it a time or 2, I dunno it did any serious damage to the frame.

But it is not replacable where I live (St Louis, MO). I've looked and looked, ran a saved search on Ebay for months, etc. The junkyards around here scrap jacks because they don't want folks on the yard jacking up junkers (maybe an insurance requirement).

Right now it would be really nice if I could mount the donut if I had a flat (without damaging frame)! :)

P

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Harbor Freight has some. When mine broke on my Cougar I got one out of a Bonneville.

If you want a real jack for the house, get a 3ton+ floor jack.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,454 Posts
That should work, but like others have said only as a means to swapping out a flat for the temporary spare in a squeeze. Rotate the head on the jack 90 degrees so the long open channel in the head is perpendicular to the scissors part of the jack. If you look under the car, you'll see where the rocker panel is mated to the underside of the body; that 'lip' fits inside the channel in the head of the jack.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Sears has a 3ton jack and stands for $109. Use something like that to do pads or other work. Depending where you are in St.louis Ive probably got a factory jack you can have for nothing.

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you really need it you can have it. I have an extra and wouldnt charge anyone for it. Only reason I kept it was incase someone needed one

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts
Neither the Cougar nor Mark has one... so I'll take you up on the offer once we hear back from the OP. You offered it to him first so he's got first dibs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That should work, but like others have said only as a means to swapping out a flat for the temporary spare in a squeeze.
Or just inspecting the rotors so the shop that replaces the pads can't sting me for a set of unneeded rotors.

I know there are shops that wouldn't do that, but the practice is so prevalent ...

Rotate the head on the jack 90 degrees so the long open channel in the head is perpendicular to the scissors part of the jack. If you look under the car, you'll see where the rocker panel is mated to the underside of the body; that 'lip' fits inside the channel in the head of the jack.
Same as the placement for the original jack as shown in the users manual?

Many Thanks!
P

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you really need it you can have it. I have an extra and wouldnt charge anyone for it. Only reason I kept it was incase someone needed one
1.) You, kind sir, are a Gentleman and a Scholar (and a nice guy to boot)!

2.) If it's -truly- an original '94 jack (I think the '93 and '95 etc jacks at least *look* different), and you're in/around STL, I would find you given some directions, but ...

3.) If theterminator93 also needs it, I dunno how to handle it.

Looks like I need to test my Harbor Freight jack tomorrow. If it looks 100% for getting me out of a squeeze, maybe I could pass on your offer and let theterminator93 have it.

In any event, there are some Truly Nice Folks on this forum, and I'm damned glad to be a little tiny part of it.

Salute,
P

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts
Same as the placement for the original jack as shown in the users manual?

Many Thanks!
P
Yep, pretty much.

As far as "needing" the jack, it's not really a need so much as the fact that either of those cars doesn't have one in the unlikely event it is needed. So like I said, it's yours if you need it. :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I will dig it up today. I might have another two. Pudding Im outside of Fenton.
Let me know

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
My jack is AAA

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Harbor Freight has the aluminum 2 ton jack for $69 again. :D I am thinking more and more all the time how cool this would be. Man that scissor jack sucks balls to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
There are a few places where you can get floor jacks with jack stands pretty cheap. If its just to change a tire or occasionally jack up the car I would go that route. You don't need a 5 ton jack & stands. I've been looking for a small set myself to go in the spare tire area I converted to storage.

I had to use the oem jack once and that was a scary ordeal. Mine is pretty much useless because I have 17" wheels with 13" rotors on the front and the spare wont fit anyways. So if I ever had a front flat I would have to jack up the car, take one of the back wheels off and put the donut on the back then swap the good back tire with the front.

Too much work for someone in a wheelchair, that's when AAA comes in :)

If I can ever find a 17-18" spare I would probably start carrying a spare and a jack again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will dig it up today. I might have another two. Pudding Im outside of Fenton.
Let me know
Many thanks for your offer of the jack.

I managed to test the HF jack. It seems to work about the same as the original jack.

I expect I'll be OK with the HF jack, so maybe theterminator93 can get your extra.

Again, many, many thanks.

Puddin'

·
Registered
67 Posts
i just bought a 4500lb. steel floor jack from HF for $50 since i got my bird and a Jeep Cherokee thats lifted so i need a big jack if it was just small cars for me i would invest in a low-pro aluminum one...and i have a set of their 6 ton stands about to buy another cause their on sale again...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Brandon, shoot me a pm with your zip and I can let you know how much to ship.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts