TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. here in the next couple dayz i'm gonna be runnin some 4 gauge wire. My question is where is a good spot to get the wire through the firewall? i saw the post below about drilling a hole, but thatz the last thing i wanna do. any suggestions would be great. The amp I just got is a 600sx Profile California series (450WX1 bridged). Guess what, I got it out of crutchfield. Right now itz sittin in the back seat rigged to a 12ga. power wire. 95 4.6 if it makes any difference.

·
Banned
154 Posts
The best place to go through the firewall is below the brake booster. The rubber mat is perforated, so you can tear away a triangle where there are 3 indentions, which are drill points for the SC clutch assembly.
Where are you running the 12 ga. through to get to the battery ??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right now itz ran through the little rubber thing under the passenger side dash. that worked fine cuz i was only goin to under the passenger side seat. But goin to from there the trunk would take way too much wire. I would keep it under the seat, but it wont fit. Thankx for the suggestion. I'll try it out and see what i can do

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
There should be an unused plastic grommet in the passenger side of the firewall that most people recommend. If you just look under the passenger side dash, you should see it and be able to then find it from the engine bay side.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I agree with Dan, I've done both passenger and driver side wire runs and the driver side was alot easier and it's on the battery side anyways.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The only problem I see with using Dan's advice is this. What if they decide to put a manual in at a later date? They'll need those drill poings to mount that SC clutch assembly.

·
Banned
154 Posts
If they are concerned with installing a manual transmission at a later date, then drilling more holes shouldnt be a problem. There is plenty of room to drill holes in the general area. If not, you could run about 5 extra feet of wire across the engine compartment using the passanger side grommet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
LOL

12ga wire isnt that big of a hole anyhow. I ran 4ga and im not worried about holes. I install stereos for a living and i havent seen any probs w/ running wire yet. Unless ur car is a real beater w/ crispy hoses that may be punctured easy while running in through. You could also buy a gromet to fit the hole or seal the hole after the wire is in place.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank ya

thanks for the input. I'm gonna do the install 2morrow and i'm gonna go under the driver side dash. Chances are my car will never see a manual tranny, so that isn't anywhere close to a concern. I was also thinkin about having another amp to run my tweets. so do ya think it would be cool to add another lead to my battery(which would save me money), or should i go out and get me a distribution block(which would cost me money)?? The only bad thing I've heard about running multiple leads is the posibility of corrosion and it might cause my voltage to drop. Any thoughts would be apreciated

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
BlackTbird96 said:
Can somone tell me where this hole is on the pass. side? I looked everywhere and didn't find anything.
It's way up behind the Dash. It's much easier to see by looking down to the left of the heater core hoses inside the engine compartment. Push the wire through there or a coat hanger or what have you and then go crawl under the dash and see where it comes out.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Firewall

Here is the firewall, the first picture is on the driver side. On the passanger side .. I cant remember which hole went to what, but I think the very bottom one had the grommet in it, you could poke a hole in that if you went through that side, but its alot of unnecessary power wire.
If you're running about 2 amps, you should be fine with one 4 gauge wire and a disribution block, it should be about the same price as running a second 4 gauge wire, but you wouldnt have to buy another in line fuse to put inside the engine compartment ( which you should have on the first wire )

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
what about the rubber around the steering column? I used that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts