Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like I might need to change my name. My wife and I are moving, and we have 3 choices...Miami, FL, Washington, D.C., or Boston, MA. Which one would you guys go to and why? Obviously a move from alaska to anywhere in the lower 48 is gonna be a big change, but we need to move and are basically looking for an overall nice, safe place to live...any input would be great!

Shane and Heather

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
if i were to chose any of those places i would definately give miami a try, i hear the weather is nice over there, lol....later'z.....:D

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Despite the price, I'd think about Boston.

Rule out D.C if you're looking for a safe place. It keeps trading places with Detroit for "Murder Capital of the USA."

I picked that article from a web search on "crime rate" Washington D.C.

An article about Florida's crime rates (1960-2000).

An article about Massachusetts' crime rates (1960-2000).

Another tool: Calculator - this calculates salaries comparisons between cities, reflecting cost-of-living in different cities. Boston came up with a cost-of-living noticably higher than Miami...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I voted Boston... since you don't have an option of "none of the above". :D

DC is just too crazy and expensive!
Miami is too much like a foreign country
But I'm not familiar with Boston that much.

I've lived in DC, NY, San Diego, San Francisco, WA and lots of other places and my opinion is that I prefer the west coast (particularly the Pacific Northwest.) (Do you want to trade. :D )

But I’m a country boy at heart and I don’t like the big cities at all!! :(

Is there some particular reason you want to come to the East Coast? :2huh:

Just my .02 and good luck with that move. It will be a doozie!!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am from the East Coast and I love it, but I will be out of the coast guard next month and then my wife is getting transferred to one of the above locations. Currently my parents live in melbourne, FL, and my brother in northern VA...So it is a hard call to make...I have been to all 3 places, but have never lived in any of them...Boston is WAAAY pricey, I know that much, and Miami....well, its nice, but I have heard getting a nice place to live is a b*tch. So, DC is coming up as the best pick so far...keep voting and maybe you guys can dictate my future!!!!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I voted DC, but I would actually say Northern VA. It's a good place to live, a little expensive, but so are the other places mentioned.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I moved from NY to Florida 10 years ago and never looked back!

Cost of living in the North east is out of control. Probably $ for $ Dc would be your best bet. Just well OUTSIDE DC. Not in it.

Can't beat FL for the weather. No state income tax. If you like the water, boating, and beach this is the place to be. All the islands are a short flight away. Just tons of stuff to do here. I love it!

Good luck with your decision and the move!:cool:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
John

i moved down 10 yrs ago too hehehe dunno if you told me, but where were you from?

why not outskirts of miami?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Originally from Huntington, Long Island NY. Was living in Ronkonkoma on the island before I moved down here.

Not very familiar with Miami. So I really know little about the surrounding area of it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
oh dont get me wrong, i love florida. i just cant stand living in a big city. fayetteville is agrevating enough for me. if you do go to miami, live outside it. kinda like kissemmee is to orlando.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
FordFanatic said:
oh dont get me wrong, i love florida. i just cant stand living in a big city. fayetteville is agrevating enough for me. if you do go to miami, live outside it. kinda like kissemmee is to orlando.
I agree...I live in Oviedo, which is well outside Orlando...it's nice out in Suburbia and you still have the option to go into the big city if you so desire.

·
6,253 Posts
my dad is from huntington.. i lived in Brentwood, back when it was decent.. :D

i goin up there next week to visit my brother (in Middle Island / MT. Sinai)

and yes, live in suburbs.. F- downtown

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Last time I was up there was 3 years ago. Place has changed ALOT! Too busy. Huntington reminds me of what Queens was like 30 years ago.

Probably will be a few years before I get back. :)

·
6,253 Posts
wasn't as bad last year.. traffic was reasonable.. but congestion as a whole is up

funny.. i still find it easier to breathe up there :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Air is thinner!;)

I don't call it home anymore. My wife is different. It will always be her home. Florida is just wher she lives now. She really gets PO'ed whe I tell her that her daughters are a rare breed, they are native "Floridians"!:eek: :D

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i picked boston. not so bad if you live outside the city. pm rodeo joe and ask hime how he likes it. he works in boston buy lives in franklin.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I voted boston also. I would look at living in New Hampshire and commuting to boston. It is only about an hour from the border. There is no sales tax, no state income tax and one of the best area's around to raise a child. Cost of living (rent) shouldn't be that much of a concern considering that living off base you will be given a stipend from the military. If you want more info about NH, let me know.

John

1 - 20 of 44 Posts