TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden (after the car had been sitting) the coolant level in my Cougar dropped enough to turn on the low coolant light... The last time it did something like that it was leaking from the seam between the radiator core and the PS tank. Since that last happened, I have done the Exploder swap, installed new heater core (which has been grounded to the chassis since day one), and Cobra radiator/fan. The oil looks fine, and I have never seen any puddles under the car (unless it has been raining). Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cougar281,

There are a lot of things that could cause a small coolant leak: loose draincock on the radiator, loose hose clamp, hole worn through a hose, etc. But, it is not unusual to lose a little coolant to evaporation over time. If it has been many months since you last added coolant, that could be the answer. Plus, it has been cold, and coolant contracts when it is cold, thus lowering the level in your reservoir. When I used to drive my T-Bird year-round, my low coolant light would come on about once a winter.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
How would one go about pin point the "leak". My coolant leaks, and turns on the low coolant about every 3-4 days. When I was under the car this weekend, I noticed a LOT of coolant under the entire front of the engine. I tightend the draincock, and made sure all of the hoses were okay. The coolant is coming from somewhere that I am unable to see. Oh, and the water pump isn't leaking either. I am hoping that the radiator isn't bad.

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
986 Posts
scottkornhaus,

The way the dealership personnel do it is to add a fluorescent dye to the coolant, run the engine, and use a black light to find the leak path.

Any chance your intake manifold is the culprit?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
MikeB said:
scottkornhaus,

The way the dealership personnel do it is to add a fluorescent dye to the coolant, run the engine, and use a black light to find the leak path.

Any chance your intake manifold is the culprit?
I didn't check that. But since my car is a 3.8, it may be different than what the 46 culprit could be.

Guess I will try and hunt down the leak later.

-Kornhaus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts