TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys,
After reading the MPG thread(and elsewhere here) I see my MPG sucks! I'm getting 13-15 (almost all city)on a 95LX 3.8 with only 53,000 miles on her. I had the plugs changed(If they gapped them wrong would it do this?) and Seafoamed her ( some smoking, not fogging the neighborhood like some I read) clean air filter, oil, PCV, cleaned MAF, reset computer, heck, all regular maintenance. I thought I was doing well when I inherited my father's car(he bought it new) after he passed last year but with gas mileage I might be better off selling her for something else. I love the look of MN-12 and wanted the car but...
Is this in the normal range for this car and engine and I'm just stuck at the low end of it? Hate to give up on her-she's so low mileage I feel I could get years more out of her but at 13mpg last fill up I might as well get a V8 muscle car.
Any suggestions on where to start checking for more MPG?
Thanks,
Lar

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
How's your driving style? City traffic, is it slow and traffic light ridden? Starting and stopping is where MPG falls most. How's your tire pressure? How much extra weight are you carrying? What kind of gas are you using? They all can have a dramatic influence on your fuel economy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brandon,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, almost all city driving, I tend to leave lights first but anticipate need for braking and try to conserve momentum and not have to come to a stop. I have about 20# extra in trunk for road side emergencies and first aid, use Hess gas mostly for price but even on Shell I only got 14.9mpg and tire pressure is a bit above standard rating.
So, do you think this is expected mpg for this combination? When reading the MPG thread I don't recall anyone having this poor a result.
thanks again,
Lar

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Hi Brandon,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, almost all city driving, I tend to leave lights first but anticipate need for braking and try to conserve momentum and not have to come to a stop...
While this will have a small impact on mileage you will find a larger impact made on take off. Pretend that there is a open jar of hydrochloric acid sitting on your dash when you start out. In my Ranger I managed to go from low twenties to a max of 29.8 mpg using this method.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Lar, Derek is right about how you accelerate. When I inherited the car from my dad, he said he would get 17-18 MPG with the car in the city. As of now, I've been seeing 21-22, as high as 23 MPG in the city - mostly due to driving style. On the freeway I've seen as high as 30 MPG. I don't accelerate hard, I coast a bit more than the average driver ahead of stoplights and stop signs, I give a hundred feet or so extra between me and the car in front of me, I keep my tires at 32-34 PSI, I use a semi-synthetic oil (I'll be going full synthetic next change), and I have recently done a LOT of maintenance work to the car (plugs, wires, seafoam, air filter, MAF cleaning, new rear diff. fluid and tranny fluid to name the major things).

To answer the question about whether you can expect 15 MPG with that kind of driving, I think it's perfectly feasible. If I was to take off ahead of everyone else at every traffic light I came to a stop at, I'd probably see my economy rating fall to the mid-high teens too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
I just filled up and will endeavor to implement the "open jar of hydrochloric acid" takeoff procedure. I will report back on how it turns out. I previously drove a built 5.0 Mustang and leaving the light first was effortless so I may be "pushing" the 'bird into poor mpg by maintaining that driving style.

Talk to ya later,
Lar

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I would agree with everyone else about that mostly being driving style. When I drive conservatively I get about (not sure on mileage as my odo stopped working) but I put in about $25 a week and I drive the car a fair amount every day, and thats at $3.00 a gallon which would be about 8 gallons. I would say I drive in the area of 150-200 miles a week so that would put it between 18 and 21 mpg in NYC traffic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Idleing is the biggest waste of gas. The good old drive-thru, is a killer of mpg. Get out of car and enjoy their free A/C inside. I watch people idile their rides, waiting for friends to run into the stores, or whats worse in the summer waiting for their cars to warm up before starting in the mornings, 70 degrees or higher. Just run your ride slowly untill the needle says warm. Idle = 0 mph

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, again all your help was appreciated. I cutback on "launch times"( which is kinda funny with 3.8 anyway) and recorded a solid 20mpg last fill-up. Hmmm... simple, but now i got these acid burns to remind me to chill.
Lar

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Amazing, isn't it? People always look at me funny when I tell them I get 20+ MPG city in my old V8. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts