TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, every couple weeks I check the oil in my car (all stock) and I end up having to add about half a quart every month. I can't smell anything from the exhaust, there are no spots on the pavement, there isn't any oil in my antifreeze...

Is this kind of "consumption" normal or is there some kind of major failure with my engine imminent?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
How many miles do you put on it within this time period? According to the factory service manual its ok to consume a quart between changes under normal conditions, and like a quart every 1500miles under extreme conditions. If I can find my manual I can tell you for sure, but im positive thats what it says. My engine has 234,000 miles and only uses a quart between changes, if that.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the engine has roughly 106,500 miles on it. It probably goes 750-1000 miles per month on average, so I suppose that would average out to about a quart every 1000-1500 miles or so.

The last time I added any oil was perhaps as long as 8-10 weeks ago; just recently it showed half a quart low so I added more. I'm not exactly sure how many miles were put on it in that time frame and I'm also not sure if the oil level's at, higher than, or lower than where it was when I last added oil (basically I'm not sure it it used more or less than half a quart in those 8-10 weeks - 1500ish miles).

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
If I had to guess, it's getting burned after leaking around the valve stem seals.

:)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If I had to guess, it's getting burned after leaking around the valve stem seals.

:)
I'd count on that.
Try putting a quart of transmission fluid in the next time it is low. Drive it for a day then change the oil. Do that everytime you need to change the oil. The ATF will soften the seals and buy you some more time. A 180 t-stat helps as well. I got 230,000 miles of abuse out of mine before the smoke trail behind me became terrible.
Might want to seafoam the engine (or use atf and water the same way it works great too) The oil will eventually build up in the EGR passage and turn the check engine light on.
Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts