TCCoA Forums banner

What is good replacemnet vehiicla for my 97 Tbird LX?

• Loaded 98 Mark VII LSC

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Gen 2 Lightening tricked out

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Mercury Merauder tricked out

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Focs SVT tricked out

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point (2-3 years) when myu car gets 100,00 k on it I will trade and probably borrow money top get what I want. Please help me make a wise choice here are my suggestions but if you have your own please feel free to help.

1. 98 MarkVII LSC loaded with all the godies and budget right away LMS dual exhaust, pullies,90 MAF, low restriction intake, white guage interior and full stereo upgrade, chrome Cobras, sensor lowering and to basically make the car of the dreams.
2. New mercury Merauder 9well maybe a used one and trick it out
3. Ford lightening and trick it out
4. Focus SVT
5. Last Gen Taurus ShO tricked out

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
1. 98 MarkVII LSC loaded with all the godies and budget right away LMS dual exhaust, pullies,90 MAF, low restriction intake, white guage interior and full stereo upgrade, chrome Cobras, sensor lowering and to basically make the car of the dreams.
2. New mercury Merauder 9well maybe a used one and trick it out
3. Ford lightening and trick it out
4. Focus SVT
5. Last Gen Taurus ShO tricked out

A mark 8 would be sweet, I like them, but before you make that decision, go over to markviii.org and look at the nightmare those guys have with maintenance (cost, part availability) I'll prolly never own one becuase it's such a PITA to keep them running. But they are nice and the mods you describe would make an awesome car.

I'd get a lightning. I've driven one, the SC sounds oh so sweet, the truck is fast & comfy. I love them and just might have to trade my focus in for one.

which brings us to the focus. I drive a zetec 130 hp focus every day. it's a good car for what it is. The SVT is a nice piece...it fixed almost all the little quirks with the focus...but it's still a damn focus...it's front wheel drive, makes no tourque, and the six speed sucks. period. it's unreliable (I hear of a lot of problems with them, plus the extra gear takes a lot of low end power away from what I hear...gearing isnt great on the SVT, if I had one I'd want to swap in an MTX75 five speed. If you want one, do it, I wouldnt though.

Taurus sho? are you kidding me? Okay okay I'm only ripping on it becuase it's a front drive damn familiy car taurus...but no style IMO

Marauder? Oh yeah baby, get aaaallll consumer over this sh!t...I'll really respect you if you throw in a T45 or T56 and SC it.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I'd take a Marauder over all those options any day. Custom T-56 install or a big stall and I'd be all kindsa happy.

I got to test drive one that was only 3 weeks old and had 32 miles on it, been in love ever since.:D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Earl said:
I'll have to go test drive one.
They're big, comfy, ride good, yet still handle really well. They look badass, and all they really need to have plenty of get-up-and-go is a bigger stall converter and/or a set of 3.73s or 4.10s. They've got 3.55s from the factory

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I'd love to have one...as for handling, I believe it, one cut me off on the freeway, and I was amazed by it's ability to slide into the lane right in front of me...I've never been so honored to be cut off by another vehicle.

EArl

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Go with the Lightning. You can go 12's for $1000, and still haul stuff around. Can't beat that. Plus they handle wonderfully and brake very well to boot. My father has an '01, and if you can deal with the gas mileage, its probably one of the most fun but still useful daily drivers you can have.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I'd go for any but the Focus. The Lightning would be awesome, but Maraduer would be cool as well. But a loaded Pearl White/Performance White with Tan leather interior Mark 8 with Cobra's would be sweet.

I'm a sucker for supercharged vehicles though.. Lightning for me :D

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
id have to toss a coin between the lighting and the marauder, both cool, both worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
jk89cat said:
id have to toss a coin between the lighting and the marauder, both cool, both worth the investment.
Ditto

The Lightning screams "cool" but is a truck. If you do more hauling of stuff than people, go with the lightning. If you haul more people than stuff, go with the Marauder. I think they are both equal on the cool scale. And both can be modded to be even better.

·
Registered
709 Posts
the Merauder is sooooo sweet! Just think, full sized sedan with a full frame.... already cool. Sure Crown Vics are underpowered for their size, not vary sporty... well put a DOHC 300+ (?) HP beast in the front, 3.55 posi in the rear and now I'm listening! Put sweet chrome 5 spoke rims and stainless "Mustang" pipes on it and you got me looking too! The Mercury Merauder is soooooo bad ***!!! If I could actually afford one I would!!

Murcury Merauder
Chevy ImpalaSS

the only 4 door cars I would actually love to have!

Jake

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
It already has 18" chrome wheels & 18" chrome pipes on it a'la stang...all that beast needs is a SC and gears and a manual trans.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Marauder. It just has a very agressive but at the same time, a very clean, smooth and classy look.

Oh, and BTW, was this 98 Mark VII a special edition or something? ;)

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I'd say Marauder. And leave it an auto. J-Mod it, put a new converter in maybe, but leave it an auto. Twin-screw it (I saw a KB-blown Marauder at FFW in Bradenton...it was amazing!), maybe gears as well, and soup up it's handling capabilities even more.

Of course for the same money you could make a flat-out sick Mark VIII.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You'd definitely get the most for your money if you went for a low mileage Mark VIII. $10K - $12K will get you one with under 40K miles if you shop around. And most haven't already been beaten on, since they were usually purchased by older drivers.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You would probably feel most comfortable in a Mark 8 or Marauder if your used to the Tbird. However I am crazy about Lightnings, awesome truck that blows the doors off of most cars! However, If you need to haul people AND cargo, get a newer supercharged Harley Davidson F150, you get the L power and the Supercrew room, plus they look awesome.

I too have a Focus, no SVT, but is DOHC. Recalls aside, Its build quality is at least an improvement for Ford. 84K and no funny noises. Its great for getting the wife to work and back, and going on long trips is easy in it, but its in a different class. half the car your Tbird is, litterally!

·
Registered
294 Posts
In 2 or 3 years? You may not be able to find a running Focus, a Mark will only be 1 year newer than your current ride and with someone elses miles on it. Wait and see what is out there then, car companies may shock us all in the next few years.
BMan.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
only one problem with a focus, they are one a pos. and also they are next throw away car , just like a cavalier! i dont know what fords thinking with their products, but they should of never made that junk.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts