TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a power tool guy and need some advice on a drill. I need it mostly for polishing headlights and some drilling in metal and want to get a good one so it lasts.

I saw at the store 2 that caught my eye;

1. cordless 18v (variable speed 0-750 rpm's) Clutched
2. corded 5.2 amp (variable speed 0-1500 rpm's) No clutch

Which one would be better? I don't care if it's corded or cordless I just want something that will last

·
Registered
875 Posts
As a carpenter, i use cordless tools all the time. Buy one that uses lithium ion batteries. They cost a bit more than the other rechargeables but the battery life and charge time is far superior. You can buy a cheaper one but when ya go to replace the battery, you'll find that they charge almost as much for that as buying another drill kit. Corded is fine, if your always near a power source. Either way, get a brand name one and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Either is just fine, though if your not going to do any big jobs 1"+ holes I would personally suggest the Cordless. Li-ion are nice just be aware they go from basically full power to nothing with no warning (no slowing).

The best thing you can do help you in your drilling is get good quality drill bits. Nothing made in China. Personally I wouldn't get HSS (high speed steel) but they are fine. I'd suggest Ti-Ni, Cobalt, Black Oxide you should avoid Carbide (sounds like you don't have a need nor the skill set to justify their price). Expect to spend about $2.00 a bit for a good/decent set.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If your going cordless the dewalt 18v is a great drill very durable. Ive had mine for 7 years. I was a carpenter before my current job and used it every day. The craftsman 19.2v isnt bad either. Lithium is great but craftsman has problems with theirs. If you buy ni cad drain your batteries every 6 months or so, then recharge them fully. The 19.2 kit will come with ni cad unless you buy the crappy compact drill which will come with one lithium. Ryobi is junk. Hytachi is junk.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2 I looked at were both Black & Decker at Wal-Mart but I want to go to Home Depot and look too. The cordless came with 2 batteries and was $50 (don't remember what kind of battery), the corded was only $25.

The reason I asked is I smoked my friends 12v cordless Ryobi once. I was using a 6 inch stripping wheel on it and the motor started pouring smoke out.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
If you're thinking B&D, look at its better built brother - DeWalt. But I'm prejudiced - we have a B&D/DeWalt repair depot in my town.

Makita is good also.

If, OTOH, you don't mind replacing the junk every so often, Harbor Freight has some cheap ones that work well, but I've found they don't bounce worth a flip, espeically from 12 foot in the air ;) Also battery life is problematic.

RwP

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
At the $50 price point, I'd look for a good corded drill. You will get much more torque out of it than you would any corded drill at the same price. Sure, it's less convenient but it's also less convenient when the stupid thing stops or you can literally stop the chuck with your other hand because it's so weak.

I've bought cheapie cordless drills before (Ryobi nicad, B&D) and was sorely dissapointed with the tools a) torque and b) battery-life.

-g

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would recommend a good corded drill. I have had a Craftsman for 30 years and it just keeps on going.

I have had many cordless drills, but most don't last. The 18v B&D I got at Wal-Mart is not bad, I use it for quick jobs. I got a Ryobi Lithium-Ion and after a year the battery won't hold a charge. Went back to using the 18v B&D. It came with 2 batteries, one died and other has been going about 5 years now.

I also have a right angle air drill that I use in tight spots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts