TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tork tech blower on my bird. The blower intercooler and all the plumbing add around 100-125 pounds to the nose of the car. I had to add the stiffer sport springs up front to help to compensate for the extra weight. I have had the sport springs on the rear for a while and I don't think it hooks up as well as it did with the lx springs. I am going to swap the rear springs for lx units and give the results. I would like to know your opinion on this swap?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Can't help you on your question. (sorry) but can you post any pics or did you do a thread on the install of the tork tech?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
I've got the stock sport springs on my car.
JL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sport Springs vs. LX springs

The LX springs are not as stiff as the Sport springs and natural physics will play into effect big time between the two springs. The Stiffer the springs are in the rear, the less traction you will be able to get because a stiff spring will not allow for much maximum weight transfer to the rear. The optimal springs would be really old worn out springs from an earlier thunderbird/cougar for drag racing. You want the nose of the car to fly up in the air and the rear to sit down and old, worn out springs will definitely help out traction.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I have had the best results with the Sport springs myself. I will be swapping back to them...

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well with the softer springs in back it will let more weight transfer to the rear which will probably help you get better traction

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
well with the softer springs in back it will let more weight transfer to the rear which will probably help you get better traction
The problem I had-even with the sport springs,was that my car launches hard enough to bottom out the rear suspension,which will cause a bounce that will unload the rear tires,and cause spin. This was only cured when I increased the spring rate by adding airbags to the springs. This would be FAR worse with the softer LX springs.
JL

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm with JL on this one. I am cutting 1.73 60 foots on lowing springs with 260 horsepower and not alot of gear... sports would be better but not in the budget currently. Wheel hop will kill you with soft springs. Especially if you have some power.

One thing i have noticed is that most of the better 60 footing t birds have got airbags in their springs or a minimum of their right spring.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
The problem I had-even with the sport springs,was that my car launches hard enough to bottom out the rear suspension,which will cause a bounce that will unload the rear tires,and cause spin. This was only cured when I increased the spring rate by adding airbags to the springs. This would be FAR worse with the softer LX springs.
JL
damn :eek:.

I'm with JL on this one. I am cutting 1.73 60 foots on lowing springs with 260 horsepower and not alot of gear... sports would be better but not in the budget currently. Wheel hop will kill you with soft springs. Especially if you have some power.

One thing i have noticed is that most of the better 60 footing t birds have got airbags in their springs or a minimum of their right spring.
i get really bad wheel hop in my mustang on stock motor and suspension on street tires. wouldn't lca's cure the wheel hop issue for the most part. most people have been telling me to get them for that very reason as it helped them considerably.

·
Registered
974 Posts
damn :eek:.

i get really bad wheel hop in my mustang on stock motor and suspension on street tires. wouldn't lca's cure the wheel hop issue for the most part. most people have been telling me to get them for that very reason as it helped them considerably.
LCA's are a good place to start, you may want to look into relocation brackets as well. There are soo many suspension parts for an S197 mustang it can make your head spin but UMI is a good place to start. I don't own a set but the UMI roto joints are supposed to be excellent for helping eliminate wheel hop and also improving your cornering grip as well. You should at least consider these. ;)

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
ive got H&R sport springs in the back with airbags on both sides at around 20 psi i think. no wheel hop and 1.6 short times.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
LCA's are a good place to start, you may want to look into relocation brackets as well. There are soo many suspension parts for an S197 mustang it can make your head spin but UMI is a good place to start. I don't own a set but the UMI roto joints are supposed to be excellent for helping eliminate wheel hop and also improving your cornering grip as well. You should at least consider these. ;)
yeah i juts dont have any money as i put a pxton novi2200 on lay away once thats paid off i plan on doing the suspension with either a griggs set up or mm

·
Registered
40 Posts
don't forget, these cars are IRS, therefore the softer the spring the more camber is going to be produced therefore minimizing the amount of contact patch the tires are going to get.

Stiffer = better.

put the battery in the rear and delete the front crash bar if you're trying to get a good amount of weigh transfer to the rear.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
don't forget, these cars are IRS, therefore the softer the spring the more camber is going to be produced therefore minimizing the amount of contact patch the tires are going to get.

Stiffer = better.

put the battery in the rear and delete the front crash bar if you're trying to get a good amount of weigh transfer to the rear.
maybe its the irs but most of the mustang guys seem to love hard in the front and soft out back?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts