TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin and I were arguning which one was better for racing. Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. which one do you guys think is better.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
"Racing" is a VERY broad term... :D

If you're talking drag racing (and most automotive racing in general) RWD is better (IMHO). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well since you came to a front wheel drive forum, we all know what answer you are looking for... of course, front wheel drive rules. It rules any and all kinds of racing. :rolleyes:

seriously though, if you look at rally racing for example then AWD is the way to go. But if the choice is limited to FWD vs. RWD then the laws of physics can't be argued with.

Jim

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Rear wheel is "Considered" Better becuase you can stuff a larger motor under the hood.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
On dry pavement, AWD and RWD are about equal on a road course, but as soon as traction is questioned, the AWD pulls. And in the rain, AWD is unstoppable. But as for FWD/RWD, I've owned all 3 drivelines in the last 3 years.

FWD is really good for nothing other than building cheap disposable cars for people who don't know how to control a vehicle when the **** hits the fan. Think about it, ALL the weight over the front wheels? Can we say severe understeer, horrible weight distribution, and all the weight shifting AWAY from the drive wheels under acceleration? You're putting 3 different forces (acceleration, steering, braking) on a single pair of tires, and the other air or just weight carriers and braking. Then you're left with a the problem of trying to fit an engine AND a transmission under the hood and you've got no room to make a driveline stout enough to take the power you can extract from a modern engine. Even FWD engine. But still considering that utterly horrible weight problem? Sounds like a really bad formula to me.

RWD is old school, been around the longest by far, VERY proven in all forms of racing with the exception of Rally. You've got a much more balanced platform. Engine in front, transmission in middle, power to the rear. You split the performance loads more equally among all four tires, better weight distribution, and the room in the driveline for something powerful and more reliable.

Corner exit:
FWD: You've already got the front tires loaded up laterally through the turn with the majority of the vehicles weight on them, you get on the gas and shift that weight away from the front tires that are trying to apply that power and you have horrible inefficiency of the circle of traction for the front tires. All that weight on the front end makes the front end run wide and understeer horribly.

RWD: You load the front tires and rear tires up, but the rears take a larger portion of the load off the fronts. You get on the gas and shift the weight away from the front tires onto the rears. The rears are putting the power to the ground, the shifted weight onto them helps insure they get good, reliable traction. More prone to oversteer, but oversteer is a much much more desirable characteristic than understeer. Something much much more useful on a race (late brake into a turn too much and understeer? Pedal the gas to toy with rear traction to line the rear end up and point the car where you want to go. Borderline drifting concept).

Standing/rolling acceleration:
FWD: No-brainer, you just took all your weight off the wheels with the traction, good luck keeping good traction when you need it.

RWD: All the weight shifts onto the tires putting down the power and increasing the grip. Also no brainer.

Stopping:
FWD: So you think all that weight over the front brakes (which do most of the stopping) is a good thing? How about that overly light rear end lifting and making the back brakes either lock up easily or just not help much in stopping? You're putting almost the entire braking load on just the front tires.

RWD: Better weight balance, but still plenty of weight over the front tires. When the weight shifts it shifts onto the brakes doing most of the work, just like FWD, meanwhile since you've got a significantly more amount of weight over the rear tires, the rear brakes can actually do something useful and actually help slow the vehicle.

Those are just some examples, and doesn't take into account other numerable factors. But when it comes down to it, look at who's racing what, in America, Japan, Europe, all of them. The big dogs are all RWD with some AWDs in there.

Japan:
RWD: Supra, NSX, S2000, 350Z are some of the flagships.
AWD: Skyline, VR4, Evo's...some of those big dogs.

America:
RWD: Viper, Corvette, F-Body, Mustang, Ford GT, Buick GN...just a few
AWD: GMC Syclone and Typhoon...umm, anything else?

Europe:
RWD: Any Ferrari, Aston Martin, older Lamborchini's, Mercedes, BMW, Pagani...the list goes on.
AWD: Audi S4, Porsche, newer Lamborghini's...

There's some examples. Give me some FWD's that can tangle with any of those in both factory trim. Acceleration, Braking, AND Turns.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In the 2wd rally classes they use fwd due to the traction advantange in the slick stuff. Also I've read about highly-modified Civics and Integras holding records on the Japanese mountain roads. I think that mostly has to do with their very light weight, which helps in the switchbacks. Driver talent plays a big part as well. Either way I still hate fwd.

Most people I know drive fwd cars simply for the traction advantage on ice and snow, but it's proven that rwd works alot better than fwd. Can't deny the huge advantage of awd though. About every time a 4wd racer comes up against a rwd racer, it's nearly unstoppable.....except in Speed World Challenge where the Caddy CTS-V's smoked the Audi's when they debuted at Sebring.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
It seems that my Contour (FWD) can hold a sharp turn at high speeds better than what The Thunderbird can. I don't know if that has to do with the FWD or if it is just the way the car is set up. I would probably take my Contour around a sharp turn at a higher speed before I would the Thunderbird. I feel as if I have more control over it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Most people I know drive fwd cars simply for the traction advantage on ice and snow
Those people have no idea how to drive then. Ive owned one FWD and during the winter I hated it. If you ever lose control on ice with RWD you can recover , with FWD hope your lucky. I read about a comparison a police department did between the Crown Vic and the new FWD police cars, I think this one was an Impala, the driver put both cars into skids/spins and every time recovered the Crown Vic, the Impala like every other FWD is almost impossible to recover quickly from a spin on icy roads. Even my friends who own FWDs (Monte Carlo, Intrepid, Neon) will agree that RWD handles much better on ice and snow.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Cool Dude said:
It seems that my Contour (FWD) can hold a sharp turn at high speeds better than what The Thunderbird can. I don't know if that has to do with the FWD or if it is just the way the car is set up. I would probably take my Contour around a sharp turn at a higher speed before I would the Thunderbird. I feel as if I have more control over it.
It's because of the weight of the cars!Physics my friend.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Dont forget TIRES (good ones and cheapie discount crap are worlds different), along with the condition of the suspension. With the tires I have and the fact that my springs and shocks are good, the Cat can take corners at speeds pretty damn good for a car its size.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Weight and overall vehicle height make a big difference. Even having your driver's seat raised high or low and affect the height of the center of gravity.

Another issue is overall length and overhangs. If you've got a lot of fender and bumper sticking out past the front or rear tires, thats a higher polar moment of intertia, reduced turn-in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You have a good point with the trucks and 4X4. Have you ever seen highly modified diesel trucks drag racing? Its F****** crazy and they haul a$$! They launch in 4wd and get all 4 tires to smoke. So I geuss 4wd is good except when you have 1,000 + Ft/Lbs of torque.

·
Registered
817 Posts
depends on the racing

FWD Sucks ***. i can say that cause i have that and i hate it in all things but freeway pulls.

drag - AWD
track - RWD
roll - FWD

simple as that. even on freeway pulls fwd sucks, i sometimes have to feather the throttle cause at 20psi the wheels still want to break loose at 70.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
ThomasR91169 said:
depends on the racing

FWD Sucks ***. i can say that cause i have that and i hate it in all things but freeway pulls.

drag - AWD
track - RWD
roll - FWD

simple as that. even on freeway pulls fwd sucks, i sometimes have to feather the throttle cause at 20psi the wheels still want to break loose at 70.

You've got that a little backwards:

Drag: RWD
Track: AWD
Roll: RWD

The reason I say RWD pwns AWD at the dragstrip is because the AWD system causes more drag on the driveline, thus reducing the power put to the ground. This problem is worsed exponetially at the top end. The AWD car may have the advantage on the launch due to traction, but a RWD car of similar weight and power will usually haul the AWD car in at the top end. Once I hit 300whp I'll have to prove this using Beau as my test bed. lol

·
Registered
817 Posts
eh that driveline drag doesnt show till about 110.

my buddy in his 96 awd talon vs me on the freeway(2 in the morning, 0 traffic for miles). 60 and up. almost head to head(same mods, evo16g with support, he has supra smic, i have fmic) but after he hit 100 he hits a brick wall. of course thats on a little 16g.

then again more turbo will allieviate this problem. you make 400hp on a big turbo that has no remorse when it pulls your *** to redline, 110 is gonna come up before you know it(end of 3rd) and 140 is only 2000rpm away(end of 4th). strap a 50trim on a awd and youre never gonna feel any difference in the top gears.

id say a set of slicks on a RWD as compared to a AWD in the track is about the same. awd's loss isnt going to come to effect till 3/4 track.

but assuming no slicks, both cars respectively the same times, awd is just better for launching.

awd for track use, eh i dont know about that. generally they have understeer(save the evo/sti). but it depends on the track and the driver and the car. tight autox will kill cars that have lots of understeer(as in awd) but a roadrace will kill a car that has no top end(as in awd).

im still sticking to my guns. awd-drag, rwd-track, fwd-dumpster.

and youre gonna need more than 300 to catch a stealth before the end of the 1/4. i give that stealth 500 bucks and it can see 12's.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.