TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanna see what your guys choice of brand for a good replacement muffler that gives a good deep sporty sound ? thanks

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Magnaflow for sure. I've run flowmaster and Dynomax in the past and I just love the magnaflow sound better.

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
Ah, another muffler survey... There is no one "Best" muffler. They're all a matter of preference. I would stay away from Flowmaster because they're prone to rusting. They're also not so affectionately called Rustmaster's.

I went with Borla.

See the thread below for sound and video clips of my setup.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=128077

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
Good deal. Will you have it ready by the JBMN in August?

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Good deal. Will you have it ready by the JBMN in August?
Planning on it. Doing the 3" Kooks, 3" pipe off the headers, no cats, midmount muffler (Borla, Magnaflow, or maybe SLP), either a 3" or 4" midpipe, then split it back to duals at the rear again. Should flow many times better than my current setup with 2" pipe lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thx guys it sounds like ill go with magnaflow for the price borla sounds good but the price is kinda outta my budget right now also any specific model number ?

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
The price isn't really that high you just need to know where to get them. I got mine from www.wickednicky.com they're BORLA PRO XP's

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let me know how those cherry bombs work. I've been thinking about getting a pair bc of space restrictions too. Heard some bad things about blowing the glass in glasspacks though...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Let me know how those cherry bombs work....... Heard some bad things about blowing the glass in glasspacks though...
When glasspack mufflers lose their insulation, they are no longer "mufflers". Instead, they become "resonators". Usually they become just really lousy ones but YMMV on that.

There are ways to keep that stuff intact for longer than most people will own the vehicle. Assuming of course you build your own mufflers. ;)

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I personally like my exhaust to have a little note but be capable of cruising down the highway and having a normal conversation with someone int he passenger seat. I like to run a dual in dual out or ven a dual in single out and then a pair of small mufflers in the back. If you keep the cat's the rear mufflers may not be needed.
Alan

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I have the "standard" Magnaflow setup on my 97. It sounds great, no problems having conversations while driving. The Magnaflow is a nice sounding high quality choice. Next MN12 I build I would like to try out a DI/DO Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler just to see how those sound.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
My 97 has the stock front cats and dual exhaust with a midmounted magnaflow it sounds good but I crave something louder for my swap. I'm running 2 1/4" right now. My next exhaust will still be dual but it will be different.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I had true dual 2.5" with mid-mount Magnaflow on my 96 Sport - sounded good and mellow. It wasn't loud and annoying at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat. BUUUT.... I've got true dual 2.5" with X pipe and Flowmaster 40's in the rear on my 94. I love the way it sounds too. I think it sounds great as do most people who have heard it.

If I could have found a way to make my Magnaflow setup a bit louder, I would run that one again in a heartbeat. There were times it was just a bit quiet for me.

-Melon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts