• Place # 2

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm gettin my exhaust done next week, and cant decide which place I should go to. Well, it should be common sense, easy decision, but is it worth the extra money?

Place # 1 is going to do my exhaust for me (2 high-flow cats, di/do magnaflow 2 1/4" pipes whole nine yards. Going to cost me $400.00. This guy's bout 30 years old, been installing exhaust for 13 years, so has tons of experience with installing and has done a few birds before. Great guy, talked to him for like 45 minutes bout exhaust and BSing. Knows bout the 3rd cat, gonna write up paperwork for 2 cats and a muffler installation. As far as he knows "it came open headered to me." Installation time for him is hour to hour 1/2.

Place # 2 is also a choice to do my exhaust for me. Kinda the new-guy in town, older guy bout 45, new tire shop, and just started doing exhaust systems. Installation price for everything for him ranges $250-$300 (depending on time). Has done his own exhaust, and pictures all over the shop, but only been in exhaust business for lil less than a year. He knows about the 3rd cat, and isn't really worried about it. For him it's going to take from morning to afternoon for installation.

Is it worth it for the extra money to just have the more experienced guy do it?

Should I just go for the new guy and give him a shot for $100.00 less? I mean honestly, it doesnt bother me to have to pay $400.00 for them (they are the only places that will touch the car, even though it will be going in open-headered cause of the 3rd cat).

I believe place # 1 has a 1 year warranty on all their stuff, it's guaranteed. I dont know what place # 2's warranty is.

·
Registered
493 Posts
the guy in #1 does it for a living and probably has more experience than the tire guy. Who is doing the work do both these guy get there hands dirty or do they delegate the work. I recently had an exhuast done 21/2" dual exhaust with high flow cats, x-pipe, slp mufflers and tips sounds great but I went to a custom exhaust shop. Thats my .02

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They both do their own work.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
are both places installing the same thing?

(2 high-flow cats, di/do magnaflow 2 1/4" pipes whole nine yards.)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both places will be installing the exact same parts, tubing, muffler, cats, O2 bungalow's, and doing turndowns at the end (Thanks Rod!)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'd say go with place 2 seem's like he would take his time and get it right without rushing it.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Go with place one and spend the extra money with the more expieranced exhaust shop.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I say go with place one, you can't buy experience. Plus if the warranty is there and you know about it...get it done there!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Exhaust

Go with the first shop. Experiance over cheap price and less troubles.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Place #1, and stand there with the guy while he builds the exhaust. If he does something you don't like or are concerned about, just speak up. Just don't talk to him so much that it distracts him from his work.

-Rod

·
Registered
373 Posts
my opinion #1 is probably still in his prime. #2 can probably be burnout. i know if i was crafting one of our exhaust systems and knew i was going to get paid less money. i wouldnt want to give someone top notch labor. you have to take into consideration that our exhaust systems takes a lot of bending and overall labor especially if hes starting from scratch(dual exhaust). in my case i was lucky it was an older friend of mine who only charged me 80 bucks to take my old magnaflow resonator system off (di/so) crafted a 2.25 dual from were the cats start all the way to the rear and mid mounted an h pipe. took him about 5 hours but took his time while i watched. i know 5 hours is a lot of time but hey 80 bucks. im not complaining. i would go with #1(warranty,niiice). good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts