TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for the coolant temp sender that operates the temp guage on my 90 s/c parts car. There is no interior left in the car right now so grounding the wire doesnt help much. :D
I just wanted to swap the sender into my LX but want to make sure its the correct one and not the temp lock out switch or something. Unless they are the same part?
None of the local parts stores have the sender in stock and its getting colder so I'd like to fix it before its too cold.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Coolant Sender

92LX5.0 said:
Im looking for the coolant temp sender that operates the temp guage on my 90 s/c parts car.
This is the ECT Coolant Temp Sender (for PCM)..

This is the Coolant Temp Sender for the Temperature Gauge..

The 1 Wire "Coolant Temp Sender for the Temperature Gauge" on your 90 s/c parts car..

Is the same as the "Coolant Temp Sender for the Temperature Gauge" on your 92 5.0..

;)

Rayo..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the ECT Coolant Temp Sender (for PCM)..

This is the Coolant Temp Sender for the Temperature Gauge..

The 1 Wire "Coolant Temp Sender for the Temperature Gauge" on your 90 s/c parts car..

Is the same as the "Coolant Temp Sender for the Temperature Gauge" on your 92 5.0..

;)

Rayo..
Thank you. :)
You seem to be a walking T-bird encyclepedia. :D
All the help and info is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I'll add that I wouldn't reuse the old one - there's a nice TSB on ALL of them failing due to a manufacturing design defect. Well, not all have failed, but it's more like "not all have failed YET" :diablo:

Get a new one instead. They're cheap, and cheap insurance against burning up a motor because the temp gauge pointed to "N" when it was at 270*F ...

RwP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll add that I wouldn't reuse the old one - there's a nice TSB on ALL of them failing due to a manufacturing design defect. Well, not all have failed, but it's more like "not all have failed YET" :diablo:

Get a new one instead. They're cheap, and cheap insurance against burning up a motor because the temp gauge pointed to "N" when it was at 270*F ...

RwP
I am only looking to use it until the local parts place can get one in. I just dont really like not having a temp guage. But good to know there is a TSB on them. Did it affect the cold engine lock out sender switch for the heater as well?
They look like they could be the same senders.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
It didn't, and they're not.

The CELO is a switch that opens on temperature rise.

The gauge sending unit is a thermistor that changes the value on temp rise.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Hmmm, is it common for both to be dead?
Well, 100% of my cars have had both die :diablo:

However, there's a TSB on failures in the temp sender - not so much on the CELO switch.

Besides, unplug the CELO and all you get is cold air first thing in the winter. That's not a show stopper.

RwP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just turn my fan to a low setting off auto. But I figured if im changing the heater coolant tube anyway I may as well fix the CELO at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I just turn my fan to a low setting off auto. But I figured if im changing the heater coolant tube anyway I may as well fix the CELO at the same time.
Well, if you find one, let me know.

Mine is bad, so I have a plug in the hole now and no sensor.

RwP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered a new one for the guage the other day, just waiting on it to come in. Hadnt thought to check availability on the CELO. I do have a couple from donor cars that had working climate control though.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts