• 4-Cyl S-10: Swap in a 350 engine/TH350 trans

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I figure since there's about as much anti-mustang bias here as there is anti-chevy, this would be the best place to get an honest opinion. My plan is to buy the 4-cylinder, 5-speed versions of one of these cars to drive for the next year, while doing universal stuff like body, suspension, and rear end work. Then after that's done, buying it's respective swap motor and doing a teardown/re-ring job. Then when next summer rolls around, park it for a month or so and do the swap. My goals for this project are low 14s or better in the quarter, but also reliability. I don't want to have to putz around under the hood after winter comes along again.

The advantages to the mustang would be: uses the same tranny, would get to stay 5-speed, I know what I'd be getting into (need to buy a swap book before I know everything involved in the s-10 swap)

The advantages to the s-10 would be: less computer crap to deal with, would be faster (better p/w ratio), if I changed my mind about swapping everything into the s-10, just about everything including the motor, tranny, gears wheels, even the drop spindles, would swap over to the g-body I would undoubtedly fall back on

·
Registered
331 Posts
<------As you can tell from my avatar I am anti-chevy but I am not anti-Mustang. If I did not have a family, I would have bought a Mustang (go ahead, flame me all you want :zwall: ) but having said that, and if I were faced with your dilemma, I would stick with Ford. So that is how I voted.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
We built a 383 powered S10 a few years back, and that was probably the most fun I've had driving a non-lifted truck. It's pretty cool when an innocent looking little S10 sounds like a monster. The only real problem with that setup was traction.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The only reason that I say to turbo that little 2.3 is that I have the same project sitting in my garage. I am still looking for the most inexpensive way to do the swap.

On the Chevy side, my friend, his dad and I. Stuck a 327 in to a 80ish chevy luv. That thing would spin on a dime. Just crank it and whhirrrlll, you was looking the other way. We eventually took 1/4 plate steel and lined the bed, then put parking blocks on top of that. After that 300Lbs it would bring the front off the ground about 2 inches on one side. Scary ride...Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts