TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone - Yup, newbie from MN

Ok - so I finally got around to playing with this computer controlled, injected stuff. I have a 97 4.6 in my T-Bird that cracked the intake last fall (big surprise) so I bought the PI head swap kit through Parkway Ford in Georgia. Good people there by the way. I had a local shop do a mild pocket port on the new heads that increased flow on both sides by about 10% over stock. Here are the rest of my plans - already purchased but not installed - before Spring:

Underdrive Pulleys (haven't purchased yet)
90mm LMAF
75mm T.B. and C&L Plenum
"Shorty"headers & true dual exhaust - beyond 2nd O2 sensor
Marauder Converter
Trans J-mod & the rest of the upgrades as suggested
3.73 gears & trac-loc (might be stock 3.27 gears for awhile)

I have figured out alot of other problems by looking at old posts on this forum, but I am confused as to what size injectors and fuel pump to run.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S: Stock injectors are orange and look to be a cross of an EV-1 & EV-6 (EV-1 plug and EV-6 body) could this be the "yellow" injector that I saw listed for a 97 4.6 on an old post? Or what?

P.S.S:I also have 1970 Cougar that I Bracket Race quite often. Best E.T. 10.46 @ 128 mph, hence my track given name of "CougarBob". The T-Bird ran consistent 15.90's before tragic manifold split with a Superchips flash only.

·
Registered
744 Posts
the famous (infamous?) j.miller injector calculator: click me

if your gonna go true duals, i suggest you scarp your shortie headers and pick up a set of kook's SCP

and don't forget your gonna need a mark viii flywheel to mate up with that maraudar TC, just post what ya need in "Ford Parts HQ" forum and Dan will take of ya.

welcome to tccoa and good luck with your birdie.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I think your stock 19's (yellow or orange)will be fine. Not certain on the pump but I know other here who have done just headwork in the past (like Goldbird) will be abl to advise. If you plan to go with a power adder in the future you will need to change

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Well I am running stock 19lbs with a few more mods than that and I havent had a problem... But I do plan on upgrading as soon as somthing gets setup ;) SirWill knows what im talking about :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, already have the flywheel, thanks. I picked up the "shorties" on e-bay for $75, actually was impressed with what I got for the price. The Kooks are a good thought, but the price kinda scares me. I'll have to rethink that one.

According to the injector calculator a 19 is borderline ( using 280 crank h.p., is 1 h.p. per cube shooting too high?) Since I have to get it tuned anyway, should I go for the 30 lb.? A blower is still in the future dream plans.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i would hold off till you get more power.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
CougarBob said:
Yes, already have the flywheel, thanks. I picked up the "shorties" on e-bay for $75, actually was impressed with what I got for the price. The Kooks are a good thought, but the price kinda scares me. I'll have to rethink that one.

According to the injector calculator a 19 is borderline ( using 280 crank h.p., is 1 h.p. per cube shooting too high?) Since I have to get it tuned anyway, should I go for the 30 lb.? A blower is still in the future dream plans.

the PI heads on your block will yield over 11:1 compression..i wouldnt put a blower on the car with that kind of compression. If you want to go bigger, maybe 24lb would keep you safe. You will have to have the EEC recalibrated for the different injector function if you go bigger.

Also, those ebay shorties are very prone to cracking and the primaries are smaller than the exhaust ports on the heads. The Kooks are the way to go, yes they are 600$, but a few years ago, before JBA sold the old castings of the their headers to whoever is making them and selling them now, they cost us about 569$....

Do a search on the forums for the shorties, you will find some pics of where they were rewelded to make them less prone to cracking.

joseph

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Palmguy said:
It'll be high compression, but not quite that high. Still not too good an idea to add a blower to a headswap car.

oops....yeah i was wrong...its about 10.3:1 or so....

joseph

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I'll go with a 24 lb. injector with this package, I had one bad injector anyhow. Yes, the compression will be about 10.4:1 or so. If in the future a supercharger comes my way the bottom end would have to be gone through - lower compression & forged parts, etc. I know that might be overkill in some eyes, but I'm a Bracket Racer and being bullet proof is everything.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
It will be high but i do know of at least one guy who has been running an SVO blower on just such a headswapped car for a couple of years now.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
tomaso12 said:
the famous (infamous?) j.miller injector calculator: click me
Watch it, I know where you live. :D

If you put on PI heads you can always add a little snow injection. It is less drastic than a SC without having to worry about how old your internal rotating components are and compression.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts