TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 tbird with a 01 gt tranny.. Which speedcal do I need?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
model # 9910

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how sure are you on that?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
They only have 2 versions of the speedcal. 9910 and the 9910er. The er is for extended range. Reading the description of the 9910er:
"USE THIS SPEED-CAL WHEN INSTALLING A 99-2003 5-SPEED OR 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION INTO A 1996-1998 MUSTANG."
Forgetting the part where it says mustang, are you installing a 99-03 5-speed or 6-speed manual transmission or a 4r70w automatic? We assume you are installing an automatic so you need the 9910 model.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
did you pull the VSS out to see it is has the plastic gear?

if no plastic gear.......there is only one "Speedcal" www.dallasmustang.com

OK what plastic gear. My tranny only had the plug blocking vss, my vss sensor has the plastic gear. So speedcal is not my only option? What plastic gear would i have to get.... the purple? For now im staying with my 3.27s but will most probably go with 3.73s this summer. Then id have to get a speedcal for sure or not; another plastic gear?

Thanks
Im trying to do cheaper first because have some drivetrain mods planned in a few months. Hopefully re-replacing tranny is not one of them.... think i cleaned cooler well enough.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I was told by many people that when I put my 3.73's in, I would need a speedcal to keep things in order with the 99 Tranny and so forth. Then I was told I may be able to use the WHITE Jeep 21 or 23 tooth speedo gear ( I dont remember exactly with tooth it was, but there is only one white one.) If I remember correctly this is because of the differences of the 7 and 8 tooth output shaft.

Well, I bought the speedcal and never installed it, I used the Jeep speedo gear and it worked fine for the 3K or so I put on the car so far.

But remmeber the gear is not recommended by everyone, because it may break, then you'll need a new one and again.

Dave

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there cheap anyways.. i think ill pick one up for now.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Darrin said:
Yeah, just get a speedcal and do it right the first time.
OK ... the speedcal calculator shows speedo gear teeth ... we have stock 19 right? But it doesnt say anthing about 7 or 8 tooth output shaft ... how do you go about calculating the binary for this?

Use 21 tooth to get difference in OS then use speedcal to compensate for gears?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts