TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if i would have to do any other mods to do a sport spring swap into my 97 lx, i currently have some eibachs on my car that are about a year old but they are way to soft for me..there are alot of dips around here and i can feel my front end float when i hit them..i always tighten up expecting to bottom out lol,... even when i have 2 people in my back seat my bumper is only a few inches from the ground..its kinda scary, but back on point... i am looking for a stiffer spring and the sport springs look like the way to go.

Jeremy

·
It is nice
885 Posts
If your suspension is really that soft going over bumps compared to when installed it's most likely the shock gone bad; even though it's fairly new. If you get the shock dissasembled from the spring you will be able to tell for sure. My bet is the shock is toast the ford sport shocks are good if you can find some they are very robust feeling.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Ima have to check that out dammit, ima argue with KYB lol...but with the sport springs are they really stiff?
Not sure there should be some info on them here. I had standard springs before the Vogtlands and Monroe shocks so I couldn't say; but the combo I have now is definately stiffer than before, and I thought the Eibachs would be the same...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sport springs are stiff when stock, and just slightly cutting 1 coil off front and 5/8 coil off rear stuiffened them up more while just dropping car about 1-1/2". It's my '92, stiff enough it needs no more sway bar than what's on it factory. I have another set for my '95.

Most 3.8 V-6 not SC
Front: 223-282 lb./in.
Rear: 361-501 lb./in.

Most LX V-8:
Front: 270-330 lb./in.

Sport and SC 3.8:
Front: 349-403 lb./in.
Rear: 509-637 lb./in

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sport springs are stiff when stock, and just slightly cutting 1 coil off front and 5/8 coil off rear stuiffened them up more while just dropping car about 1-1/2". It's my '92, stiff enough it needs no more sway bar than what's on it factory. I have another set for my '95.

Most 3.8 V-6 not SC
Front: 223-282 lb./in.

Most LX V-8:
Front: 270-330 lb./in.

Sport and SC 3.8:
Front: 349-403 lb./in.
Rear: 509-637 lb./in

So the higher the lb/in is means how stiff it is?

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I like my tokico's, I've had spring tech/suspension technique on my mark and while I loved the 2" drop it was completely impractical where I live. Which is why I chose the 1 1/4" drop tokico's I wanted it lower than factory but not impractical and I wanted linear rate springs instead of progressive rate springs. Just my preference.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like my tokico's, I've had spring tech/suspension technique on my mark and while I loved the 2" drop it was completely impractical where I live. Which is why I chose the 1 1/4" drop tokico's I wanted it lower than factory but not impractical and I wanted linear rate springs instead of progressive rate springs. Just my preference.
whats the difference between linear & progressive springs?

·
Super Moderator
5,004 Posts
Linear - 500 pounds = 1 inch, 1000 pounds = 2 inch, 1500 pounds = 3 inch.

Progressive - 500 pounds = 1.5 inch, 1000 pounds = 2.5 inch, 1500 pounds = 3 inch.

That is, the more it's compressed the more it TAKES to compress it.

RwP

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so linear springs are apparently stiffer huh, if i got ahold of sum sport springs, Would i have to do any other supporting mods? Ima ditch the eibach and go with either sport or vogtland.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Did you hear anything back about your shocks? Id replace the shocks also, there was alot of bounce in your suspension. Sport springs will be stock height unless you cut them. If you dont do something about those shocks I fear you still wont be happy

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you have excessive bounce in your suspension shocks are the first place to start. In other words yes I think your shocks are totaled. You couldve just got a bad couple shocks. I get no excessive movement out of my front or rear and mine are older than yours.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have excessive bounce in your suspension shocks are the first place to start. In other words yes I think your shocks are totaled. You couldve just got a bad couple shocks. I get no excessive movement out of my front or rear and mine are older than yours.
Alright well i gotta take my ride to the shop on friday morning concerning my $500 AC job and the air still isnt cold lol, ill have them check it out.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I like the feel of throwing a car with linear springs into a corner and carving canyons with it. However progressive springs are nice for in town and highway driving.

The reason is because linear springs compress at the same rate, where as progressive rate springs tend to have several "softer/lighter" coils to absorb imperfections in the road, to increase ride "quality" IMO ride quality is feeling the road beneath me. My car doesn't feel like a 2010 toyota corolla, it feels like it's ready be pushed in the corners and smile doing it, not overly firm or harsh, but it's no cloud. My first v6 had eibach's and koni adjustables set at full soft and it was a great cruiser. It's all about what YOU want to do with it and how you want it to feel and handle. Sometime light/soft is perfect, sometimes firm/stiff is perfect, it all depends on the application/need of the individual and car.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the feel of throwing a car with linear springs into a corner and carving canyons with it. However progressive springs are nice for in town and highway driving.

The reason is because linear springs compress at the same rate, where as progressive rate springs tend to have several "softer/lighter" coils to absorb imperfections in the road, to increase ride "quality" IMO ride quality is feeling the road beneath me. My car doesn't feel like a 2010 toyota corolla, it feels like it's ready be pushed in the corners and smile doing it, not overly firm or harsh, but it's no cloud. My first v6 had eibach's and koni adjustables set at full soft and it was a great cruiser. It's all about what YOU want to do with it and how you want it to feel and handle. Sometime light/soft is perfect, sometimes firm/stiff is perfect, it all depends on the application/need of the individual and car.
I am going for firm/stiff on my car...i wanna feel the road through the steering wheel lol, but i dont like scraping everywhere either like i am with the eibachs... i really want to get some sport springs... do the sport springs drop the car in anyway? if you look at the numbers they are stiffer then eibachs correct?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts